VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have been putting this stuff together for a while i didnt know what turbocharger i was goign to go with , i got a good deal on a used unit , rebuilt and put a new compressor wheel and housing ( a little bit bigger than the origanal) but yeah it hsould be a monster.

· Banned
632 Posts
looks like a take off from a diesel engine.
should have spent the money on a brand new brand name now, rather than after you make the rest of the kit around that turbo and figure out that you need to change it...
but good luck

· Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (iTapAss)

yeah it is a take off and it is a brand name .have you never heard of holset? They are just as big as garret . you should see what the dsm and honda guys are doing with the ones smaller than this one.Holset built the vains into the compressor housing way before garret to help with compressor surge.
It has a 4in inlet 3in outlet

· Banned
632 Posts
Re: (GREASE-MONKEY)

Quote, originally posted by GREASE-MONKEY »
yeah it is a take off and it is a brand name .have you never heard of holset? They are just as big as garret . you should see what the dsm and honda guys are doing with the ones smaller than this one.Holset built the vains into the compressor housing way before garret to help with compressor surge.
It has a 4in inlet 3in outlet

"vains into the compressor housing" ... wowza... you ever head of that company 'TurboSmart' ??? They must have named it after you... man i can really tell that you know your shit!!!
I believe you are referring to what is commonly reffered to as a ported shroud ... was patented by Honeywell (Garrett).
Also, having a ported shroud turbocharger on a gasoline engine is pointless, unless you are shooting for the moon with your horsepower numbers... and i mean in the thousands with a 2.8L engine. It will spool later than a non-ported model. It would be much better to simply spend the money for a properly sized turbocharger for your motor.... A properly sized unit will not run into surge, and will likely spool faster, perform better drivability wise, but will lack very little flow on top end.
Another thing to take into account is the trim of the turbine wheel, and the A/R of that back housing.... diesel trucks are WAY different than gasoline burning cars, and I'll bank on the fact that the truck you pulled that unit from had double your displacement....
either way, it appears as thought you have already done all your research and'or listening to what some backyard mechanic told you... best of luck to you in your project.... i truely hope it works out for you.. those 24v's arent cheap to rebuild!

· Registered
3,027 Posts

Quote, originally posted by iTapAss »

"vains into the compressor housing" ... wowza... you ever head of that company 'TurboSmart' ??? They must have named it after you... man i can really tell that you know your shit!!!
I believe you are referring to what is commonly reffered to as a ported shroud ... was patented by Honeywell (Garrett).
Also, having a ported shroud turbocharger on a gasoline engine is pointless, unless you are shooting for the moon with your horsepower numbers... and i mean in the thousands with a 2.8L engine. It will spool later than a non-ported model. It would be much better to simply spend the money for a properly sized turbocharger for your motor.... A properly sized unit will not run into surge, and will likely spool faster, perform better drivability wise, but will lack very little flow on top end.
Another thing to take into account is the trim of the turbine wheel, and the A/R of that back housing.... diesel trucks are WAY different than gasoline burning cars, and I'll bank on the fact that the truck you pulled that unit from had double your displacement....
either way, it appears as thought you have already done all your research and'or listening to what some backyard mechanic told you... best of luck to you in your project.... i truely hope it works out for you.. those 24v's arent cheap to rebuild!

dude ... seriously ... go on a honda or dsm sight and see what they are doing with them . you till take back 75 percent of the stuff you just said . or just search for the tane tomritt on here .. he has a holset hx35 on his 1.8t and will testify to how early it spools . in about 3 weeks ill be able to tell you how well my hx35/40 spools .. which is actually a upgrade for a dodge cummins .

· Banned
1,823 Posts
Re: (Trevahhhh)

that turbo.. = poop for your motor.. turst us all on here telling you to change the turbo .. you will never spool that stupid thing.. and if you get smaller bal bearing turbo you will BE MUCH HAPPIER get a turbo portioned tot he engines size and that wont take THAT much to power it.. either way though good luck and if you put it on your car DEFINETLY let us know what your making and when you spool

Modified by 1.8Tspeed! at 2:30 PM 12-1-2006

· Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it has a 12cm housing. you tell me how my 2.8 cant spool it ,when a 2.0 honda or dsm or even the 1.8ts i have seen with them can

Modified by GREASE-MONKEY at 9:54 PM 11-30-2006

· Banned
632 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Trevahhhh »
dude ... seriously ... go on a honda or dsm sight and see what they are doing with them . you till take back 75 percent of the stuff you just said . or just search for the tane tomritt on here .. he has a holset hx35 on his 1.8t and will testify to how early it spools . in about 3 weeks ill be able to tell you how well my hx35/40 spools .. which is actually a upgrade for a dodge cummins .

an upgrade for a cummins.. which is a 5.9 liter engine that runs 17something:1 compression... its got more than twice the displacement and more than 3x the amount of airflow driving the turbine...
i have read about the so-called "balla on a budget" turbo setups.. and sure its possible to make power with them... i could put a GT47-88 on my 24v, and it'd spool some time next month, and make a thousand horsepower, but it's better suited for a much larger engine... and that's where it will go.
If i was going to turbo a 24v for a street car i'd run a big backhousing GT35R... race car i'd use a 40R... hands down.
like i said.. good luck to your guys hope it works out for you... but dont bitch about it when you have to change all your pipes to fit a garrett to your car later on down the road when you realize i was right about these diesel truck turbo's.

· Banned
632 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Trevahhhh »
that turbo with a 12cm housing will have full boost by 4500 rpm..... i promise that

4500.. with a 7000 rpm redline... wow... that sucks...
Seriously, a GT47 with an 88mm compressor spools at 4500 on a 3.0L inline-6 engine and is capable of making 600 more horsepower than this turbo does... a 400 horsepower turbo should hit full boost before 3000... and seriously... who cares if your turbo is capable of 500 or 600 horsepower when your engine and drivetrain can't hang with it ?
ps. what clutch are you going to put in the car... bet on a Tilton if you ever plan to use that turbo within its efficiency range...
you'll be making a shitload of power if you ever do get into its efficiency...

· Registered
6,001 Posts

seriously, if you want quick spool, get a 28R, if you want the best turbo out for the 24v proven time after time, get the 35R, and if you want to have the ultimate in turbo lag, keep the holset...all up to you...
but while your lagging, ill be passing, and you wont catch me once you do finally boost next summer

· Registered
34,572 Posts
Re: (VR6JettaGLI)

You guys don't know much about Hosets apparently. The exhaust housing (12cm) is about equivalent to a .82 A/R T3 hotside but with a wheel about the size of a GT35R wheel. The comp wheel (HX40), although pretty small in inducer, flows about what the 67mm inducer GT40 wheel does (and perhaps more efficently at high boost). This is just a different manufacturer's version of a GT35/40R without the BB and the cost.
Full boost by 4500 is not a dog on these cars and honestly I think that's early. With the top end a multivalve head can pull with boost, I'd move the powerband higher even with a bigger hotside. I think a 16cm would be perfect, the 12cm will choke it a bit but have a vac/boost transition in the 3.2k-3.5rpm range just like a 60-1 with the .58 housing. I never liked how hard and how low those hit on the 12vs.

· Registered
935 Posts
Re: (need_a_VR6)

Quote, originally posted by need_a_VR6 »
Full boost by 4500 is not a dog on these cars and honestly I think that's early. With the top end a multivalve head can pull with boost, I'd move the powerband higher even with a bigger hotside. I think a 16cm would be perfect, the 12cm will choke it a bit but have a vac/boost transition in the 3.2k-3.5rpm range just like a 60-1 with the .58 housing. I never liked how hard and how low those hit on the 12vs.

i'm sorry... i'm confused. why again would you want your turbo to spool later rather than earlier. that just sounds retarded!

· Registered
745 Posts
Re: (blankster83)

ummmm......you ever see when a 1000hp supra hit full boost?..... i dunno where this idea that hitting full boost at low rpms makes you get down the track faster.....if you dont wanna go fast and you want drive ability then yea fine somthing thats gonna put you in boost 24/7 but you guys are ragging on this guy for no reason its almost moronic
most honda guys select a turbo for late spool so they can take advantage of being a import and pulling at 5k+ rpms....
I say this is a awsome turbo man.....what are you doing for head work? that puppy would scream with a set of 268's....keep this updated with pics i'm very interested not many people on here try somthing that is different you should be praized for being innovative not flamed....push the limits on how far u can revv the 24v out with a turbo......bump for stepping outside the box
ohh yea and i guess the honda industry must be wrong right??cause we have soo many VW's Running in nhra......i guess i'm retarded
Modified by Corradokcid at 11:47 AM 12-2-2006

Modified by Corradokcid at 11:51 AM 12-2-2006

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.