VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been searching and looking at diy's and if i'm reading right, do i have to remove the plastic under the stearing wheel and glovebox JUST to remove the long pieces around the radio cage?
the cupholder and trim around heating/ac controls looks simple enough, but if i'm seeing this correctly, i have to do all that just to remove the other pieces?
can someone verify that i have to remove the plastic around the glovebox and under the steering wheel before i attack this project?
thanks!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Re: Holy Crap, i have to do all THAT to remove trim around radio cage???? (bagxlee)

It actually isn't much. The DIYs are very detailed, and doing all that shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Re: Holy Crap, i have to do all THAT to remove trim around radio cage???? (bagxlee)

yea man u have to remove the plastic under the steering wheel cause there are 4 bolts holding the cage two on the left top and bottom and two on the right top and bottom. u have to remove the passenger side glove box too.
i tryed to remove my cup holder but it won't come out!!
i tryed removing both pins its not helping!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Re: Holy Crap, i have to do all THAT to remove trim around radio cage???? (deziking)

Quote, originally posted by deziking »
u have to remove the passenger side glove box too.
i tryed removing both pins its not helping!

Yeah, but to remove the glovebox, there is one torx screw behind the front of the center consol that has to come out, meaning the center console has to come out, it's not so bad, I've taken mine out in my GTI, and my Jetta so many times, I can take everything out in less than 10 minutes.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bagxlee »
..... JUST to remove the long pieces around the radio cage?

Just to clarify, you have to remove all that stuff because those "long" pieces ARE the radio cage. They aren't separate pieces.

·
Registered
27,085 Posts
Re: Holy Crap, i have to do all THAT to remove trim around radio cage???? (mahmgb)

Quote, originally posted by mahmgb »
Just to clarify, you have to remove all that stuff because those "long" pieces ARE the radio cage. They aren't separate pieces.

and that's only true on the us spec cages. euro cages have the clip in face plates.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Re: Holy Crap, i have to do all THAT to remove trim around radio cage???? (bigmak)

Quote, originally posted by bigmak »

and that's only true on the us spec cages. euro cages have the clip in face plates.

Take it one step further....if you have the wood grain (as I did), they are seperate pieces and can be removed........

·
Registered
27,085 Posts
Re: Holy Crap, i have to do all THAT to remove trim around radio cage???? (Rob'sVR6)

Quote, originally posted by Rob’sVR6 »
Take it one step further....if you have the wood grain (as I did), they are seperate pieces and can be removed........

orly? i didn't know they used the other cage here in the states for htat. my fault.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Re: Holy Crap, i have to do all THAT to remove trim around radio cage???? (bigmak)

orly? i didn't know they used the other cage here in the states for htat. my fault.

yup, they are a bia to remove, but they can be removed and the cage reused. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
27,085 Posts
Re: Holy Crap, i have to do all THAT to remove trim around radio cage???? (Rob'sVR6)

Quote, originally posted by Rob’sVR6 »
yup, they are a bia to remove, but they can be removed and the cage reused. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

well now i'm not sure if it's the same cage. the euro cages are relatively easy to release the face plates on.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts

well now i'm not sure if it's the same cage. the euro cages are relatively easy to release the face plates on.

The 'long pieces' are attached via three nipples (for lack of a better word) that slide into plastic clips. To remove, you need to slide the trim piece down and pull out............or you can do what I did and pull and curse profusely until you snap 2 of the 3 clips than throw the piece out the window. Thank GOD for 3M adhesives. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Re: (SlowK03Crap)

Quote, originally posted by SlowK03Crap »
its def an all day project!

What

Its not that hard

·
Registered
4,980 Posts

Every car I've owned until now requires that the under steering wheel trim be removed to get to the stereo, it's not all that uncommon

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Re: (SlowK03Crap)

Installing my GLI trim wasn't even an all day project and that required me to take off all 4 doors in addition to the radio cage...

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Re: (2004turbo)

I think I did mine start to finish in less than half an hour (radio cage and all 4 doors) and that even includes throwing one of the long pieces out the window.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts