VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we did a test fit today, saw something weird with on of the shocks. Turns out, it almost came off of what ever holds it to the body of the car!

Hammered it back in the place, went for a spin, came back and it's fine. Maybe when it got installed it wasn't seated all the way? All I know is, I go over railroad tracks everyday, and I like certain parts of the highay at 4am with no one around at 80+ mph

I assume that I got VERY lucky that we found this!

I'll drive like this for a day or two, then well jack the car and check these again. If it becomes loose, I'll park the car until it goes in for air ride in a couple of weeks.

Point of the thread, go outside right now, jack it up, and check your suspension!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Gonna need you to elaborate a little more on this one...?

If it was just the shock (rear), you won't die. Springs suspend the car, shocks absorb the bumps ;)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I drove to work, came home, and checked the coil. It did the same thing. I think there is a bushing that goes there and it's now missing.

It appears it lasted this long. I'll avoid unneeded trips. Just needs to last me another couple of weeks max.

Crazy ****!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
What the hell are you talking about. Take pics please showing a stock photo and expecting us to know " that edge" and this and that isn't going to help. I had to replace the entire driver side rear knuckle before so get proper pics of YOUR issue and I will help you.

·
Registered
708 Posts
So I drove to work, came home, and checked the coil. It did the same thing. I think there is a bushing that goes there and it's now missing.

It appears it lasted this long. I'll avoid unneeded trips. Just needs to last me another couple of weeks max.

Crazy ****!
You need to replace that bushing ASAP to avoid extending the damage to the shock or the entire car.

With the shock basically slamming into that bolt over every irregularity in the road, the lower shock mount welds could break and you'd need a new shock instead of just the $5 bushing. You're probably also damaging the threads inside that knuckle as well as weakening the bolt to the point where it could break off, needing the assistance of an "east out".

If that shock totally disconnected and you ran over a large enough "swell" in the road the spring could come out of it's mount and you'd be in a world of suck.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

Here's another pic. The shock is supposed to sit more on the bolt. I can see light marks it made where it slipped down a little bit.

It's not loose. It didn't come off. It's still on there tight. We went back out to look at it better with the wheel completely off, and it's still on there pretty good. Just that when looking at it, can tell where it was originally and where it is now.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I think he's just trying to show off his bags. Whore.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Is this what you are talking about (pic stolen from x09rawker coils DIY thread)

Hammered it back in the place, went for a spin, came back and it's fine.
Umm... sounds like your lower shock bolt was loose... and if so, then hammering it back is the last thing you want to do as it's supposed to be screw ed back in... I'd be concerned now about stripped threads... good luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.