VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha...it was has been a long and interesting day.
I just graduated last week, so I'm now home and jobless. Decided to get the 'ole GTI cleaned up since I had about 3 billion bugs splattered on it from the drive home. Anyway...
Stopped by the local VW dealership and ended up test driving the R32.
Sweet mother of god. What an amazing machine. Pulls in almost every gear (even sixth!) and grips like no tomorrow. After a test drive, I am no longer a skeptic. The people on this board's praise of the car is truely accurate.
I can't really say anything bad about the car except for two things: it's a horrible pain in the butt to get out of and it's got the same DBW stutter that my 174hp VR6 has. The seats, while friggin' AWESOME, combined with the position I like to sit in (high and close to the wheel, rally-style) make it a real pain to get out of. I also noticed that if you just tap the accelator at low speeds, the car sorts "hops," and from my experience with my VR6, this can get annoying in traffic. Other than that, WOW.

Anyway...they worked some numbers and while they seemed to have no problem doing the car for $500 over invoice, my GTI is only worth like $13.5K. Not nearly within the range I would want.
So they gave me a Tornado Red GLI to drive for the night. Sweet little car! Love the seats...so comfortable. And easier to get out of than the R32 seats. It's almost too similar to my car though.
So here I am, left wanting an R32. So the moral of the story is: don't drive an R32, you'll love it more than your graduated, jobless ass can afford.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Re: HOLYMOTHEROFGODIDROVEAN R32...and went home in a GLI. (U n i o n 0015)

Yeah, your right it's very tough to get out of a R32 it's so beautiful inside
Just ask the owners

·
Registered
18,552 Posts

I find that driving the R32 in traffic is a joy because it'll pull in any gear from
any speed. It generally only "jumps" when you touch the throttle, if you're
in too low of a gear. Upshift and it's smooth as butter.
One question I have is.. Regardless of the car, isn't "recently graduated,
and jobless" sort of a weird time to be buying a new car? You will be kicking yourself
bigtime if you buy the GLI now just because of lack of funds, and decide you really
wanted the R32 afterall 6 months later. Sounds to be like it'd be better just to hold onto
your current car, and your money, and wait a bit to really
make up your mind.
ian

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'm 6'3" and I've managed a get in/get out technique that doesn't cause back pain.
Just takes practice. A$$ in first, turn, lift your right leg, straighten the back out. Oh and don't forget to duck.
Getting out is the same process...A$$ out first... j/k.

·
Registered
12,483 Posts
Re: HOLYMOTHEROFGODIDROVEAN R32...and went home in a GLI. (Daemon42)

U n i o n 0015,
I saw your car at Waterfest last year, hell even followed you down the turnpike for quite a few miles.
Very nice ride.
I would hang on to it like Ian said until you're in the position to get the car you "really" want, the R32

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Re: HOLYMOTHEROFGODIDROVEAN R32...and went home in a GLI. (Supercharged VR6)

I like to raise the steering wheel before I get out of the car. Works for me.

·
Registered
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote, originally posted by Daemon42 »

One question I have is.. Regardless of the car, isn't "recently graduated,
and jobless" sort of a weird time to be buying a new car? You will be kicking yourself
bigtime if you buy the GLI now just because of lack of funds, and decide you really
wanted the R32 afterall 6 months later. Sounds to be like it'd be better just to hold onto
your current car, and your money, and wait a bit to really make up your mind.

Absolutely...I went in just wanting to go for a test drive, and then just sort of got caught up in the process to see how much an R would actually cost me.
I've definitely got higher priorities right now--first and foremost of which is finding a job! There's absolutely nothing wrong with my car, I just had a case of the wants.
I've really fallen in love with hatchbacks and VW's in particular. I may end up getting an R32 down the road or an MKV R when my GTI finally kicks the bucket. Still, I love the R32 and if I had the dough I'd definitely drop it in a heartbeat. It has extremely impressive performance, comfort, utility, and uniqueness. My kind of car.

Enjoy your Rs!!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Cheers to a nice fellow Vortex'r

I'd agree with what everyone is saying. Keep your current ride, and maybe after you get a job and feel secure in it, trade up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

i'm going with group think (herd behavior), - don't settle for the GLI, especially after driving the R32.
it's definitely not as easy to get in and out of as say, a passat, but i think we've all got our own techniques down now - many of us actually move the seat all the way back and then exit, which makes the rentry easy as well.
i get in with a big step of the right foot, then butt over the bolster and onto the seat, then left leg in and rotate body. i get out by kicking my left leg over the side bolster so it rests where the bottom and top of the seat join - there's very little bolster interference right there, and then i push gently off the seat and move up and out.
for the time-being, i've got the luxury of being able to drive the car for the sake of driving it, so i take my time getting in and out and really settle into position (my psuedo-race car driver poser action).

·
Registered
254 Posts

where at Greenbrier? i paid sticker @ Casey, no one else had any in stock, then all of a sudden Greenbrier had like 9 or so.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

Quote, originally posted by U n i o n 0015 »

I've definitely got higher priorities right now--first and foremost of which is finding a job! There's absolutely nothing wrong with my car, I just had a case of the wants.
I've really fallen in love with hatchbacks and VW's in particular. I may end up getting an R32 down the road or an MKV R when my GTI finally kicks the bucket.

Been there and done that. One guy I work with bought an R32 after I partially talked him into it (and of course after he drove it). I drove his car and even though I had total R32 lust before I drove it, now I have an even worse case. My 337 is a really great car but everything that my 337 does well, the R32 does just a little bit better. I keep thinking of how I can trade my 337 in for an R32 but I just don't think that is really an option right now (new house, bills, etc.) I really, really, really hope that there is a MKV R car with all the goodies on the R32 and maybe a few more. By that time, it should be a possibility. I am just afraid that it will be another 10 years before we see so many undiluted VW products here in the states.
Hey....how about an R32D. ~220 @ 4000 RPM & 350 lb-ft @ 2000 RPM
then maybe we could chip it to make ~300 hp & 450 lb-ft
that would be cool

·
Registered
442 Posts

price difference between gli and r32 is about 6.5k now; who knows, it may narrow to 5.5k after the summer if there are still a lot around -- for that difference you get the 3.2vr6 (about $2k over), 4motion (about 2k also), leather (about .8k), and tuned exhaust (about .7k) -- well i guess that's where the 5.5k went
now, if vw started putting 4motion into the 1.8t gli and priced the package to go at 25k then it becomes a much easier choice (they have the tech bits but not the marketing savvy)
also, it they put the dsg's (or even tips) into this, they'll probably sell 3x their current volume (somehow in the US, automatics outnumber sticks 9 to 1 (seems almost like this even among the enthusiast crowd)
still, for about 30k (and for those waiting for a deal, maybe 28k) this car has all the technicals to dance w/ S4s, 330xi's, maybe even carrera 4s
good luck in your job search; and may you get the car you really want

·
Banned
204 Posts

Yeah the R32 is nice and all but you really need to mod it up to make it worthwhile <g>
R32, there is no substitute. Yeah baby. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
I always slide my seat all the way back every time I get out of the car, then slide it back into position when I get it. It seems like a PITA the first few times, but pretty soon muscle memory takes over and you don't even think about it. Someone may think that's a lot of trouble to go through, or pretty anal, but you'll be thankful you took my advice in 10-20k miles when your side bolster is starting to show a lot of wear

·
Registered
17,666 Posts
Re: (vr6Cop)

Quote, originally posted by vr6Cop »
I always slide my seat all the way back every time I get out of the car, then slide it back into position when I get it. It seems like a PITA the first few times, but pretty soon muscle memory takes over and you don't even think about it. Someone may think that's a lot of trouble to go through, or pretty anal, but you'll be thankful you took my advice in 10-20k miles when your side bolster is starting to show a lot of wear

Or after the second day of ownership with only 75 miles on the clock. I, too, am a seat slider, and insisted that the valet do the same the other day. Its an easy habit to get used to.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Daemon42 »
I find that driving the R32 in traffic is a joy because it'll pull in any gear from any speed.

I can relate to this. It is Sooo much fun driving in NYC (when it's not super pact like an event) switching gears and taking off leaving evreyone behind.
Oh! and the rumble that resonates from the surrounding buildings

What a car

1 - 17 of 17 Posts