VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course a kit car would fall into this category, but what about production cars that were somewhat, or very much like another un-related car?

'Kind of looks like it' doesn't cut it. There have to be some real styling elements where you just know that the designer of the new one had to be thinking about the old one.

Good benchmark would be:

Lotus Elan:

Mazda Miata:

A bit more of a stretch would be:

Saab 900 - 2nd gen

Original 2002 Hyundai Elantra GT

Keep your Chinese knock-off cars in another thread.

·
Premium Member
'08 Saab 9-3, '66 Vespa
9,201 Posts
Sorry I see no link at all. BMW >>> Holden or whatever.
I think he means that they used the M5 as a benchmark and ended up hiring a bunch of engineers who worked on that particular car to design the Holden.

The Nissan S Cargo that was designed to emulate the Citroen 2CV:

They even used the one spoke steering wheel:

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
24,210 Posts
I think he means that they used the M5 as a benchmark and ended up hiring a bunch of engineers who worked on that particular car to design the Holden.
Well except that BMW >>>> Holden. :laugh:

Like you would know :facepalm:
I'm just spitballing based on a car I prenteded to own for 8 years and a rental car.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Well except that BMW >>>> Holden. :laugh:

I'm just spitballing based on a car I prenteded to own for 8 years and a rental car.
:laugh:

The BMW does look a little better, but I'd still take the Chevy over it any day of the week.

·
Premium Member
'08 Saab 9-3, '66 Vespa
9,201 Posts
Oh yeah, and the original Viper came about when Bob Lutz suggested that Chrysler should build a modern version of the original Shelby Cobra. They're both enormous-engined, stripped out roadsters... with bitchin' side pipes!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.