VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 1637 Posts

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
39,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been brewing for a little over a year now, I am starting to get serious about it. I have done a few batches and I am starting to get bored with the ready made kits. Also, I have plastic secondary and primary fermenters and they are starting to get a brew funk to them. I scrub and scrub and scrub and sanitize, rinse and repeat and they still have a faint aroma of brew. Is this normal? I don't really want to switch to all glass carboys because I just got laid off and times are tight. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Re: Home brewers CHECK IN please! (patrikman)

Yes, plastic will take on the smell of fermenting wort. Think about pickle buckets. Be careful when scrubbing out your buckets, you create scratches that can be the perfect hiding place for undesireable little monsters....beer spoilers.
The easiest thing to do is just to soak in PBW or something like that over night, then spray out. The vast majority of trub and stuff stuck the sides with just wash out. Then you can wipe out any remaining stuff with a soft cloth or paper towels.
I'll also add that you may want to buck up and buy one carboy to use as a secondary. Plastic breathes and is not the best thing for conditioning or aging beer.

dan g

·
Registered
215 Posts
Re: (SivNiz)

Every 6 or so batches, I fill my fermenter up with baking soda/hot water mix and let it sit overnight....
Gets out all the funk.
Also, as mentioned above, I never use anything other than soap and very hot water to clean the plastic - a scour sponge will create places for the funk to hide in.

Modified by nish65 at 4:39 PM 4-8-2009

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Re: (nish65)

can anyone recommend a source, site, book, video etc on how to get started brewing your own beers? I've always wanted to try it, I remember seeing a brew kit machine of sorts at Macy's years ago but haven't seen anything like it since.
I don't know if it matters but I am not really a fan of domestic beers anymore, although I will drink them if at a bbq or sporting event. I love IPA's

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Re: (ribguy)

thanks just reading over some of that site I have a question.
Are you guys boiling 6 or more gallons of water? If so where are you doing this? I don't think a regular gas stove could boil that? Cuz then if you are to use the wort chiller thingy you need running water right? So how many people have a setup where they can run a a propane stand alone burner to boil and have running water available for the chiller without doing it outside? Cuz I would assume outside you risk containments falling into the water.

·
39,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (5_Cent)

^^ I have been using the LD Carlson-Brewers Best Kits from my local homebrew store and they are incredibly good for getting your feet wet, most recipes call for starting the boil with 2-3 gallons usually. for a pot I have a turkey fryer 6.5 gallon kit (came with propane stand). the first time I boiled outside with gas and it took quite a while and didn't seem very efficient unless you start off with a smaller amount of water and add gallon by gallon. it seemed like more work then necessary and got my kettle full of soot. If you keep the lid (mine has a hole for thermometer) it will do a good job of keeping airborne debris out. I may switch back to outdoor boils in the summer because it allows me to enjoy a nice Punch or a Cohiba while I am boiling. Indoors seems easier, my current range in my duplex is electric and it works ok and it is near the sink so I can run wort chiller hoses a short distance.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
wow you make it look so easy! lol
everything looks so messy and dirty, not saying that your setup is a mess or anything just that I guess everything gets all gunky in the process.
I'll have to start with a small beginner kit or something see if I am going to even like doing this.

·
39,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: (blksabbath)

Quote, originally posted by blksabbath »

pimp a$$ setup

wow man, how long have you been brewing? I would like to get into that stuff further down the line. I am especially into the small (soda?) kegs, a buddy and I are going to get into that this summer because bottling is just a huge hassle because you just pour it into a glass anyways. great stuff so far!

·
Registered
837 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 5_Cent »
can anyone recommend a source, site, book, video etc on how to get started brewing your own beers? I've always wanted to try it, I remember seeing a brew kit machine of sorts at Macy's years ago but haven't seen anything like it since.
I don't know if it matters but I am not really a fan of domestic beers anymore, although I will drink them if at a bbq or sporting event. I love IPA's

homebrewtalk.com

·
Registered
357 Posts
Re: (SivNiz)

Quote, originally posted by SivNiz »

homebrewtalk.com

x2 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

"wow man, how long have you been brewing?"
7 years...plus a few random times in college and stuff.
Get the print version of John Palmers How to Brew. Here's the online version: http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html
Next time you go into a homebrew shop, ask if there's a club in your area. The best way to learn is to brew with others and see how it's all done.

Modified by blksabbath at 6:01 AM 4-10-2009

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
Re: (Moe Sizlack)

wondering whats the oddest thing anyone here has tried to make, friend somehow got the idea to do a Pineapple Pilsner

Another friend make an "Illegal Pale Ale" that was really good.

·
39,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: (Moe Sizlack)

Quote, originally posted by Moe Sizlack »
That's a dope setup.
Anybody here grow hops?
I've got some cascade to plant this season.

the gf's mom is growing me some cascade too! from all of the recipes I readup on that seemed to be a common denominator in alot of styles I am into.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Re: (A4J)

Quote, originally posted by SivNiz »
homebrewtalk.com
Quote, originally posted by A4J »

x2 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

x3

1 - 20 of 1637 Posts