VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys.. I havnt posted anything in a while and my project has been marching along slowly behind the scenes.. i thought a few of you may be interested in how this progresses..
I'm mating a set of Suzuki GSX-R 42.5mm ITB's to my 1.8L Counterflow solid lifter head

heres some pix to show you whats happening so far.. i've got the TB's in hand and stripped off all the bits i dont need and just finished a 9hour stint at a friends house who's got a huge Milling machine in his basement..
I dont have any pics of it yet but i've got 1.75" Ubends in 16gauge steel that i'm going to chop up to make up a custom intake manifold to match the TB's to the flange i just finished.
ITB's <i'll get some better pics soon>

Custom one off intake manifold flange <damn i wish someone sold these>
<before match porting and final trimming to clear the exhaust header>

after match porting it

What do you guys think? i'm still working on a cad/cam drawing so i can have more of these made would anyone be interested in some? this is made out of 1/4" cold rolled plate steel.. I'm still hoping to have more of these plasma cut by a vortexer.. making one by hand is a b*tch but i need to get my engine running asap

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Homebrew ITB project fully underway =) - Pix (Coolwhite Fox)

correct i had to remove the caps and studs to get it to fit in the vise on the mill to take measurments.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Re: Homebrew ITB project fully underway =) - Pix (CdnDub)

Very nice CdnDub!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
What are you gonna do for injectors or fuel management? I would think that the stock Gixxer injectors wouldn't flow enough for our "huge" 1.8/2.0's. 42.5mm sounds just about right for an 8V. What else is being done to the engine?

Are you part of VWDOV?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Re: Homebrew ITB project fully underway =) - Pix (84_GLI_coupe)

I am very interested in what you are doing. Is that the only fab needed for the swap? How do does the fuel injection work? Are you using the CIS? What happens to the cold start valve? How much was taken out of the head? How much did you pay for the itb's? How much would you charge for the fab piece? Why do I have no money? So many questions!!! Please explain further or you could email me at [email protected]
Lookin good http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Nick.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Homebrew ITB project fully underway =) - Pix (MikeBlaze)

I'll try to answer all of these in order

Yes i'm a VWdov member but vwdov.ca is still down <i post under g60>.
The ITB's were $100 on ebay. or similarly priced at a local bike wrecker.
The Injectors that came with the ITB's will not flow enuf fuel to fuel my engine <140hp max if i bump the fuel pressure>.. i've got a set of balanced G60 injectors going in my head using CIS inserts that i've machined out to accept bosch style electronic injectors
I'm using a Digifant fuel rail and making my own wiring harness <all the digi ones i find are uber crispy>..
Fueling will all be done with megasquirt http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
for now ignition will be done via the stock dizzy.. i'll either be converting to megaspark using ford EDIS components or i'll wait for UltraMegaSquirt to arrive which will do ignition as well as injection.
Total cost so far for the EFI and ITB's including fabbing the manifold is under $700 CDN. <~$500 USD?>
And yeah Andrew i might just beat you to the ITB's
with any luck i'll be firing the car up next weekend.. cant wait to hear it scream to life.
Oh and for the other questions.. i dont know what i'd charge to fab a manifold.. why dont we see if it actuall works first then i'll start discussing making them for others
and it will most definitely not work with CIS..

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Oh and Badbunny, A1rocco ported my head, the head was ported a fair bit and then shaved 1.62mm.
I went back and opened up the ports a little more to match the flange I made and get me closer to the 1 3/4" i need to mate to the tubes i'm using.. the intake pipes look absoultely huge its going to be a bit of an interesting feat trying to taper them down to fit the flange but i need them that big to fit the ITB's.. and everything i hear says tapering is really good.. increases port velocity.
The rest of the engine is a 1.8L bored to 81.5mm with 10:1 Kolbenschmit pistons, bottom end was balanced <pulley to pressureplate>, arp rod bolts, arp head studs, head was ported and polished by A1rocco and then assembled with autotech valve springs by the same place that balanced it all for me. valves were backcut 60deg. and topping it off is a TT 288 deg cam, exhaust is a supersprint stainless header with 1 5/8 primaries <i think> into 2.25" collector out to a 2.5" exhaust all the way back <making it myself soon its all mandrel bent>
compression is 12.2:1 and i'm running a huge rad and dual flexalite rad fans and evans NPG+ coolant to keep it cool.

Modified by CdnDub at 4:14 PM 6-30-2003

·
Registered
4,051 Posts

there is nothing better than reading some bonified ORIGINAL tuning ...

ICANDIGIT, great work!!

·
Registered
757 Posts

Hope you get it running soon. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Can't wait to hear how it turns out.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Re: Homebrew ITB project fully underway =) - Pix (scandalous)

That's cool. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I want them http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Re: Homebrew ITB project fully underway =) - Pix (Coolwhite Fox)

Sweet!

Modified by dohc at 6:08 PM 7-1-2003

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Homebrew ITB project fully underway =) - Pix (dohc)

lol why the edit DOHC
u posted
I'm doing the same thing, only I'm using 42mm carb's off of a Honda 1100 Blackbird, same idea though, only I think it'll support more HP.
Are you using the actual carbs or are they throttle bodies? i'm curious why you think the Honda carb stuff would support more HP than throttle bodies with EFI..
I'm hoping i can hit 160hp.. if i hit anything more i'll be amazed.. 150whp would be my ideal target but getting there NA style is really tuff.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts

Quote, originally posted by CdnDub »
lol why the edit DOHC
u posted
I'm doing the same thing, only I'm using 42mm carb's off of a Honda 1100 Blackbird, same idea though, only I think it'll support more HP.
Are you using the actual carbs or are they throttle bodies? i'm curious why you think the Honda carb stuff would support more HP than throttle bodies with EFI..
I'm hoping i can hit 160hp.. if i hit anything more i'll be amazed.. 150whp would be my ideal target but getting there NA style is really tuff.

Oh well you caught me, I edited that quick too. The edit was because I haven't got it running yet, and I was planning on carbs. Crazy Canadian's

Happy Canada Day everyone!!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Homebrew ITB project fully underway =) - Pix (dohc)

Id love to see some pictures <even via email> of your progress as you go.. and yup we are crazy canadians
good to see someone else thinking "outside" the box.
I'm hoping to have my intake manifold done for the end of this week <just waiting on a transmission so i can put the motor in my car before i fab the rest of it>.. then hopefully have the EFI setup and running for the end of the weekend.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts

I'm kinda busy with my VR6 swap into my Gti at the moment, the Rocco's fuel pump let go, so it's not running at the moment...but the next time it does, it'l be with carbs

If you think that bike carbs is outside the box, then wait till you see what I'm brewing with my buddies Hyundai Pony. He basically lets me do what ever I want, any experiment because the car is basically disposable.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts

S-I-C-K!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Homebrew ITB project fully underway =) - Pix (NOok)

awesome dude i'm still working on a baseline cad drawing but i've got way to much on the go.. i had to prototype on the mill since the head i'm using isnt anywhere near stock and since the ports are hand done nothing is exact.. the CAD file i'm building for those plasma cut flanges is just off a stock head.. then if people want they can matchport it by hand to whatever is on their head.
i should still have a file for you in a few weeks to try out a flange.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts