VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
36,615 Posts
With 2023 model year vehicles already on the way, 2024 is just around the corner so I was hoping to see some target specs of some kind. Range, power, how the interior volume compares to the CR-V, what vehicle(s) they expect pricing to align with, but I don't see any of that in the article.

Given the tiny 89-mile range of the Clarity EV, I suspect this thing will also fall at the short range end of the spectrum, though I can't see them going for anything less than 150 miles or so. Given the CR-V is 190hp and the fact that it seems every EV of any kind whatsoever has a waiting list these days, I feel like a 200hp, 150+ mile range CR-V sized EV from Honda would actually sell well, at least if gas is still this expensive in a few years. 150 miles is plenty of range for people like me that just fly, rent a car, or borrow another family member's car when doing trips outside of my home city.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 2017 Subaru Outback Limited
24,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With 2023 model year vehicles already on the way, 2024 is just around the corner so I was hoping to see some target specs of some kind. Range, power, how the interior volume compares to the CR-V, what vehicle(s) they expect pricing to align with, but I don't see any of that in the article.

Given the tiny 89-mile range of the Clarity EV, I suspect this thing will also fall at the short range end of the spectrum, though I can't see them going for anything less than 150 miles or so. Given the CR-V is 190hp and the fact that it seems every EV of any kind whatsoever has a waiting list these days, I feel like a 200hp, 150+ mile range CR-V sized EV from Honda would actually sell well, at least if gas is still this expensive in a few years. 150 miles is plenty of range for people like me that just fly, rent a car, or borrow another family member's car when doing trips outside of my home city.
150 miles? 225 to 250 miles seems to be the bare minimum these days for newly released EVs.

Reactions: Nealric

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
20,371 Posts
Is this the one that they are sharing from GM? Basically a Honda Equinox?

• Haha
Reactions: jonrp

·
Registered
36,615 Posts
150 miles? 225 to 250 miles seems to be the bare minimum these days for newly released EVs.
Yes, and honestly it was at least 150 when Honda released the Clarity EV ... with 89 miles of range. Honda is Japanese and got sucked into hydrogen FCVs. Ever since they have been hopelessly behind on EVs, which is why they had to go to GM of all places to bail them out for the next decade or so. I hope to be wrong, but I have a feeling they will go short on range compared to many other automakers in order to keep cost down and get volume up. The smaller the battery pack, the higher volume of EVs they can sell and the lower the cost per unit. We'll find out by 2024 though I guess.

·
Registered
2015 VW GTI SE
20,028 Posts
Yes, and honestly it was at least 150 when Honda released the Clarity EV ... with 89 miles of range. Honda is Japanese and got sucked into hydrogen FCVs. Ever since they have been hopelessly behind on EVs, which is why they had to go to GM of all places to bail them out for the next decade or so. I hope to be wrong, but I have a feeling they will go short on range compared to many other automakers in order to keep cost down and get volume up. The smaller the battery pack, the higher volume of EVs they can sell and the lower the cost per unit. We'll find out by 2024 though I guess.
The Cadillac Lyriq has impressive stats. I suspect the Acura EV will be more closely matched to the Caddy. It’ll be interesting to see if the Honda version will be matched to Chevy’s EV Equinox of Blazer. The Blazer EV will be offered as an SS, so I expect some focus on HP and acceleration.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looks nice. I just hope they can do a good job turning their concept into reality. The HRV is quite disappointing.

View attachment 186743
View attachment 186745
It was a marketing/presentation sketch, to exaggerate and sell the designer's vision beyond the final design, used to entice people's interest. That is definitely not a concept sketch ever used a design reference. Honda knew very well in 2020, it would already look like the bottom photo as soon as anything was definitive in 2019/early 2020. Design development is a mixed bag of tricks, in regards to marketing.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts