VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
[places envelope to forehead]Infrastructure and Electricity.............

·
Banned
26,117 Posts

·
Registered
Bluestar, NA, XL40
15,399 Posts
:banghead: Hydrogen...
Japan subsidizes the heck out of hydrogen "fuel" development. I guess Honda keeps thinking eventually the US will too.

Meanwhile, thanks to a swift kick in the butt from Tesla, Detroit and the Germans are going straight to the clean powertrain endgame and building plug-in hybrids and EVs.

·
Registered
36,287 Posts
Japan subsidizes the heck out of hydrogen "fuel" development. I guess Honda keeps thinking eventually the US will too.

Meanwhile, thanks to a swift kick in the butt from Tesla, Detroit and the Germans are going straight to the clean powertrain endgame and building plug-in hybrids and EVs.
"clean". Show me a battery that doesn't harm the environment. 20 years from now there will be electric cars rotting away in people's back yards, what sort of danger will that pose? (No I'm not saying ice cars are safe)

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
"clean". Show me a battery that doesn't harm the environment. 20 years from now there will be electric cars rotting away in people's back yards, what sort of danger will that pose? (No I'm not saying ice cars are safe)
Hydrogen is just as filthy as gasoline, diesel, or natural gas, because the only way you can produce it cheaply is from those stocks.

Depending on the battery chemistry involved, the batteries could end up so safe they're practically inert, or they could be just dangerous if you try to charge them up once they're flat. Either way they're going to be more valuable as scrap than as yard art...

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Is this still completely free to operate like the FCX Clarity lease was since it covered fuel, it was the same $600 a month lease?

Where is the Home Energy Station that Honda has been working on for 13 years or so?

·
Registered
36,287 Posts
Hydrogen is just as filthy as gasoline, diesel, or natural gas, because the only way you can produce it cheaply is from those stocks.

Depending on the battery chemistry involved, the batteries could end up so safe they're practically inert, or they could be just dangerous if you try to charge them up once they're flat. Either way they're going to be more valuable as scrap than as yard art...
Only if we have the infrastructure in place to properly recycle these cars and their batteries, which I'm not seeing. And current battery technology is still toxic, as most contain nickel, manganese, and cobalt.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts

So we are going to act like the US does not subsidize EV development and electric car ownership in this country. Hydrogen has just as much of a chance of being successful and EV's still have the issues of range and charging.

·
Registered
Bluestar, NA, XL40
15,399 Posts
Car batteries are one of the most recycled things in the US. EV traction packs will have the same percentage or higher due to the cost.

So we are going to act like the US does not subsidize EV development and electric car ownership in this country. Hydrogen has just as much of a chance of being successful and EV's still have the issues of range and charging.
At least building a nationwide network of electrical outlets is relatively simple as compared to gaseous fuel filling stations.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
No Need For It To Be That Ugly

Feasibilty, monetary sense, blah, blah, blah, screw that, I can't get over how ugly they made it. Game over even before the heavy incentive packages arrive.
"The Honda Clarity, too ugly to drive".
And for what reason? There was functional reason to cut that accent line low over the rear wheel. Looks like crap.
The green house looks like it came off of another smaller, skinnier car and they sat it on a fat ugly pig.

They put a nice paint job on it though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.