VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
5,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I would first like to thank you in advance for reading this.

On the 5th of August, I received a ticket in Virginia for speeding (57/35). In the area I was speeding, the speed changes from 55 to 45 to 35 within a mile. I had my cruise control set at 55 and wasn't paying attention to my surroundings. To be honest, I had never traveled on the route before and completely missed the 35 mph sign! I was motioned to pull over within vision of a 45 mph speed limit sign (though I was guilty of 55 mph in a 35). When the officer questioned me if I knew the speed limit, I replied that I had my cruise control set and wasn't paying attention. The officer returned with a speeding ticket and instructed me how to pay the ticket through the mail.
-The officer was very professional and kind, which made the ticketing process as pleasant as it could be. I can't blame anyone besides myself for this one!
The question, as my topic states, is: Will honesty help me in court?
I wish I could say that this is my first speeding ticket! I actually just received my first speeding ticket a week before this offense
(I'm a 23 year old male/Active Duty Coast Guard BTW). I had been ticketed over a year ago for failing to obey a highway sign, which was actually my first ticket ever!
I will be traveling to VA on the 14th of this month to appear in traffic court, hoping the judge will reduce the possible 4 demerits that would otherwise be automatically deducted from my current VA license. I plan on pleading guilty and communicating to the judge that I am a safe and courteous driver with a relatively clean driving record who made an honest mistake. I will however, explain how I received the ticket and ask for his gracious mercy!
Thanks again for reading and for your responses in advance! If you have any additional advice or an idea to help me reduce points or costs (traffic school?) post up!
, Craig http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Update: I pleaded guilty and the judge reduced my ticket from 57/35 to 44/35 (-13 MPH!) and my fine from $165.00 to $105.00 (processing fees included!). 6 points to 3 points!
I'll say it was worth traveling two hours to go to court!

BTW- everyone who told the truth got their tickets reduced and everyone who told a story didn't.
(hmmm...)

Modified by craigalangibson at 6:05 PM 9-14-2005

· Registered
668 Posts
hmm 55 in a 35 is a tad rough
i know anything 15+ and over they won't reduce where i live
But yes Honesty is your very best bet.
with the cops.
but plea not guilty, don't go in to court and admit fault
plea not guilty and then they might reduce it, pleaing guilty gets you ticket and N/G gives you a shot at reduction and -unless your an ass- never results in a bigger problem

· Registered
806 Posts
Re: (craigalangibson)

if you said you thought the speed was what you were doing, you might have gotten off. hopefully the judge understands.
i got one in my fox, long story short..
it was late, dark, i was coming home, Fox speedo is doin the bouncy bounce and there are only 2 cars going oposite way on the highway (one a car, behind it a cop car).
ie
it was dark, cant guess how fast im goin
no one to guage my speed off of (except for the guy who flys by me)
speedo in fox is toast (as are 95% of them)
im alone in the car with tunes on and honestley thought i was doing the limit...
get a tic for 125 in a 100...(km)
i pleaded NG, and go to court on the 28? (tic is on fridge) i think i will just tell the judge the truth. and hope for the best.
what everyone eltse think?
(sorry for the hijack)

· Registered
37 Posts
Re: Honesty: will it help me in court? (craigalangibson)

plead not guilty (pleading guilty will result in no reductions). if you plead not guilty the judge may consider reducing it. but yeah, judges don't appreciate being disrespected so just be as polite as possible explain everything that happened truthfully, and maybe you'll be lucky and get a nice judge (or at least one in a good mood) and you'll catch a break.

· Registered
1,414 Posts

I would suggest leaving the explanation out of it. Ignorance is no excuse. Just plea guilty and beg for leniancy from the judge. You also might want to discuss pleading down the offense with the officer who issued the citation first to make sure he has no objections to that course of action.

· Registered
5,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: All

Thanks to all of you who have replied! I will be able to use something from all of your posts, they each have good ideas!
I feel like I have at least a chance of reducing the demerits~.
-Craig http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
806 Posts
Re: (efritsch)

stoped in my local "Europien Auto" shop. the guy said "its a common problem with them. its ether the speedo cable fraying and catching or somthing about a magnet in the speedo"
he said its just easier to pay it. he said there is no documentaion of any sort that he knows of. if i had some that woud be very helpfull.

he said he would not come to the court and testify ( i could get a subpoena (sp) if i wanted then he would have to come) then i dont think he would like to se me ever again.
i might go to the other VW shop in town and see what they can do/ say.
does anyone know of documentaion or where i can find some?

Modified by Kliener Fuchs at 1:01 PM 9-14-2005

· Registered
112 Posts
A few months ago I got a ticket, 87 in a 65. I went to court and got it reduced to 3 points but I have to take a 4 hour class. It was truthfully an accident also. I was going down a steep hill on the highway, and quite honestly I didnt even know that I was going that fast.

· Registered
20,210 Posts

Quote, originally posted by craigalangibson »

(I'm a 23 year old male/Active Duty Coast Guard BTW).

Did you let the officer know this before hand?
If you didn't next time (hope there isn't a next time, but you never know) do so, they will often let people in service off with warnings.

· Registered
5,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Honesty: will it help me in court? (gizmopop)

I think he knew, I keep my ID on top of my license. When I open my wallet, it is very much in plain sight.
Oh well, I have adjusted my driving habits since! I guess its better getting a ticket than getting into an accident.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.