VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used my Rabbit tow bar for the first victim. Found this 100 miles away. 83 1.8 manual with air. 1 owner car. Owner passed several years ago. Been sittin under a tree. Solid car, complete. Can't wait to get it running again.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
What is that you're towing with? nice find, clean looking car.

I’m thinking it’s a B4. My B4V has a factory 1.25” receiver, but I’d be a little leery to pull anything with it. I wasn’t aware anything was available for the sedan, unless it’s aftermarket.

-Todd

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tow car is 97 B4 TDI over 400K miles on the car about 20 on the rebuilt engine. Hybrid turbo, nozzles, Malone software, DBilas camshaft, TT down pipe, straight thru exhaust. The hitch and bar are both from Curt. We drilled the front shocks on the bumper mounts to drain the oil, compressed the shocks and welded them in position. I just had to remove the bumper and bolt on mine, change the tires out. Chains are connected to the factory tow loops. It did not feel comfy over 65 in the interstate. I rounded up some tires and wheels from my basement stash. About 10 miles down the interstate right front just shredded and pushed me across center line a bit. Threw on the Passat spare and rocked on. Car had a lot of apple tree on it. I spent over an hour blasting it inside and out at the car wash. Smelled like a mildewed boat. Very happy to have scored such a solid car.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
With the addition of decent tires, it felt fine with the 1.25” receiver? I’m guessing you’re using a 2” ball?

What did you do for lights?

-Todd

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a set of lights from harbor freight and some big zip ties to lash them to the bumper.
So week 1:
just swapped on a 1.6D starter now it will spin
minor rodent damage to some wiring
pulled some little dents with the glue on pdr
cleaned cleaned cleaned
the top, hood and hatch, have some patina

·
Registered
415 Posts
Looks great I have it's twin awaiting some garage time

what did you use/do to bring back the paint?

I have a set of lights from harbor freight and some big zip ties to lash them to the bumper.
So week 1:
just swapped on a 1.6D starter now it will spin
minor rodent damage to some wiring
pulled some little dents with the glue on pdr
cleaned cleaned cleaned
the top, hood and hatch, have some patina

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been working on and scoring parts for this little Rabbit. Compression test turned out 0-0-65-fugetaboutit. So I gotta do something. I have a hydraulic GTI head going to the shop for a refresh, new springs and guides. should I go back 1.7, or 1.8 or do the ABA? I am leaning towards the ABA bottom end. I also have a Volvo 240T air meter and fuel distributor to update the small plate setup. I want to keep it OEM looking

1 - 14 of 14 Posts