VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:irk:

Last year, as part of my EIP to C2 turbo conversion, I had a SB stage 2 drag clutch installed. I picked that unit after talking to SB, telling them what my car is, how much power it puts down, how I drive and being told that their MKIV VW R32 stg2 drag or stg3 daily would be suitable for me. The stg2 was rated at 520 ft/lbs of torque, which is a more than I have, and I liked the fact that it was built for quick shifts. Also, it came with a 12 month/12K mile warranty.

Fast forward 6 months (it's been sitting for 2 months since it broke) and 6K miles and I have a pressure plate that is "in four pieces". I bought from a SB certified supplier. I had a SB certified installer install the unit. I followed all the break-in procedures to the letter. I'm also, apparently, on the hook for replacing it. It turns out you're not supposed to drag launch their drag clutch. Or maybe it's that you're not supposed to downshift it. The tech who decided it was all my fault, even after admitting that he had no idea how I drive, couldn't decide which reason it was. However, he was sure it was my fault. I asked him how he knew and he replied that he had seen other clutches break like mine. I asked him if he knew how those cars were driven. He stammered and said he didn't. Rather convenient that the company that would be responsible for replacing it gets to decide if they have to or not. :rolleyes:

It was all very reminiscent of Shaka's experience with them...except that they apparently picked up the tab for him.

·
Registered
17,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and I've had the same power level and driving style for the better part of 50K miles. I got 20K on an EIP clutch and 30K on a Clutchmasters.

·
Registered
17,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Circa 2005:

rabbitgtibbar said:
Note to self: don't order clutch kit from South Bend.

Should have stuck to that, it seems. :(

Good luck getting this resolved, I would push back on them.

:laugh: :banghead:

/This post is salvo #1 in "operation push back".
//FB is #2.
///Screaming in impotent rage is #3.
////BBB is #4.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Note to self: Apart from ordering anything from SB, dont take part in a memory competition against mike solo... :p

·
Registered
17,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hrmm, SB like most companies use Sachs PP and don't actually manufacture them. I have a Stage 3 or 4 on my car and no problems yet. (crossing fingers).
Pretty much no one makes their own stuff; they all use Sachs products and add some spray paint.

That said, I now have a Sachs racing PP (I did not before).

Switch to the Clutchmaster FX850, you won't regret it
My wallet will.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Two R32 Turbo cars over here blew their Sachs Race enginnering pressureplates so it got a big hole in their bellhouse's. Noting new.
I have NEVER heard about a singel disc clutch, that has been holding up on a R32 Turbo at 15+++ psi.

I got myself a FX850 after a total failure with a Clutchnet red pp setup.
Gotta love the 850. Really nice pedal and driveability. Seems to be holding up really good also.

:beer:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts