VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One reason, among others, I had stopped posting was I had become a bitter man, insulting friends I had made here for no reason. Simply put, I was out of control.
My running gear workshop light was coming on like a christmas tree in december, brake fault, etc, with an incompetent dealer to boot.
Then, miraculously, it stopped, never to rear its ugly buzz again.
What was to follow was binding the likes of which I don't believe anyone has experienced. Not only would it bind, the tires would stick on the ground, like my daughter's gum left in her pocket in the laundry. The Egg had become almost undrivable. At this point, I had slightly over 50k. The dealer put down the mileage at 49 to cover it, kept the car four days while I paid for a rental, and proclaimed it fit as a fiddle; no repairs needed.
Mind you, they had previously replaced the stepper months back without the TCM, had updated the four wheel drive (whatever that means) software months before that.
Now, I finally go to a new dealer with high hopes, only to have them dashed. A service manager who is readily accessible, who works the counter a la toyota, etc. This guy was energetic, swearing he was going to make it right. I bring the car in after talking to VWOA and he. I had no appt. It was a Thursday afternoon. I was leaving for Vacation the next morning. I asked him if possible, I would appreciate the car being ready by the next Wednesday as that was when I would be returning. But if fixing it right meant waiting longer and having to rent a car, no problem.
He tells me he will do his best and will definitely be in touch with me, taking all my phone numbers.
You guessed it, he never, ever called. Tuesday afternoon on my way to the airport I called. He hadn't even touched it. Okay, I'm still hoping he would get it fixed right. He knew of the problem, said to me, "It feels like driving a half-track down the road, right?"
Thursday comes, no dice. Friday afternoon, a week, and sorry, sir, We haven't touched it yet.
Monday, now six days in a rental and his crack shop foreman is getting right on it. A rep from VW is coming on Tuesday and he's "going to beat him over the head to do the right thing."
Wednesday, still working on it.
I figure, I must be getting a new transfer case, new stepper, god knows what. I was thrilled. What could take two weeks?
I call him yesterday. Admit it, you forumers, which one of you guys in Michigan had a more important problem than me? Because, you see, the VW rep never even came. He went to the Motor City instead.
Well, what did you do, I ask? "We updated the "four wheel drive software." Mark. It's a hundred percent better than it was, still binding a little, but you know four wheel drive cars do that normally."
Needless to say, I was beside myself. Two weeks and they did a software update.
Oh yeah, I forgot one other thing. In my now 55,000 miles I never had the dead battery issue. He tells me for some reason my battery was dying right and left there, so they updated my NAV. Maybe I got street names now.
And he managed to get an oil change done also. Whoopy!
I'm picking it up this morning, Friday.
Hopes are high though.
BTW: The last incompetent dealers were Palisades, New Country, and Now Prestige Imports in not-so Pleasantville, N.Y.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Re: Hopes Dashed (mdjak)

Sorry to hear about the problems, Mark. It amazes me that so many dealerships seem to have so many poorly trained mechanics. Maybe the problem is that they hire mechanics and not technicians. The Treg's mechanical systems are very integrated with it's electrical systems, as you know, and maybe they just don't know how to troubleshoot a problem.
I wish you the best of luck and can only suggest that you keep trying different dealerships until you find one with competent techs.

·
Registered
32 Posts

"He tells me for some reason my battery was dying right and left there"
My dealer puts my truck always on the battery charger when reading the cars fault memory or other maintenance when ignition is on without the engine running. There are apx 30 computers constantly monitoring the whole car and that takes a lot of energy.
Seems many dealers are not beyond the level of a rabbit or jetta...

·
Registered
973 Posts

Hey, glad to see the MLC is over!

Seriously, we discussed about it before and nothing's changed, it all comes down to the service dealer.
"It's a 100% better but still binds like all AWDs" is just not right.
Keep looking till you hear " It's a 100% ok".

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

Mark,
That sucks. Sorry to hear about your problems. Seriously though, try Fairfeld. They did a good job with my Treg when I had it there. And FYI again, stay away from Riverbank!
Spikeit

·
Registered
285 Posts
whats wrong with riverbank? I am looking to get an Audi from them.... is it just the service dept?

·
Registered
5,555 Posts

Quote, originally posted by mdjak »
One reason, among others, I had stopped posting was I had become a bitter man, insulting friends I had made here for no reason. Simply put, I was out of control....

Remember the thread from quite a while ago that asked if you had named your Touareg, and if it was a male or a female? I'm guessing that Mark's is definately a female - only a woman can drive a man crazy like that.

(Sorry ladies, but you know you do that to us sometimes.)

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Hopes Dashed (4x4s)

So, I pick it up this morning. The SM was somewhat indignant. After all, I hadn't driven his handy work yet. Why was I complaining? He pronounced it fixed.
First, let's review the invoice which totaled $466.
$167 for the oil change. You read that right. In Greenwich, Ct., where they charge $125 per hour labor, an oil change is $105.
Ripoff number one.
$133 for updating the NAV so it wouldn't kill the battery. Invoice states: "Customer states NAV kills battery." I protested. He removed the charge.
$133 (1.5 hours labor) charge for the software update to the 4wd system.
I pay around $330 and tell him I was quite disappointed.
I drive the car out and indeed it feels smooth, at least on the highway.
No sooner do I pull into my garage at work where some slow, tight turns are required, and the binding and sticking is as bad as ever.
I call the name on the customer survey they left in the car. The GM of the dealer answers and listens to my story for quite some time. Turns out, my officemate is a good friend of his. He wants to help me.
I later receive a call back from both him and the SM telling me a VW engineer will be there on the 24th. I'm hoping to sell it before then.
No offense to anyone here (as we know I've offended enough people around these parts already) but if you all know what is causing the binding: a bad stepper and the TCM that controls it, why don't they? Do they need an engineer to determine it?
I called VWOA and they contacted the dealer. They called me back and are going to refund the software update fee.
For those of you reading this who are relatively new around here, let me state that, but for the problems and complete incompetence of the service network, I LOVE this car and it will be a sad day when I dump it.

·
Registered
973 Posts

So, I pick it up this morning....

Driving 50k miles with a bad AWD system has probably screwed up your transfer case mechanical components and is not a case of software updates and stepper motor replacement anymore.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Unless they change BOTH the TCM and stepper motor you will always have the problem. Mine still has a bit of binding but has been "fixed" since both were done together. Your car seems to have so many problems- I would have pushed for a Buy back BEFORE 50K. I bet it will be next to impossible now. I would also be looking for new wheels if I was in your shoes. Too bad really as the T-reg is an excellent idea. Too bad so many seem to have trouble like you have. I was looking through my service receipts recently. Ours has been in the shop 6X's since we bought it in Nov 2003. My Boxster has been in the shop 3X since July 2002(Just oil changes).

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Re: (chickdr)

Quote, originally posted by chickdr »
I was looking through my service receipts recently. Ours has been in the shop 6X's since we bought it in Nov 2003. My Boxster has been in the shop 3X since July 2002(Just oil changes).

hmmm....
11x since dec 2004!
my 20V GLI Jetta has been in the shop twice for oil changes only
(in 1 year)

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Re: ([email protected])

I don't count the number of times that my Touareg has been in the shop (not too many, really). I could really care less how often it goes, as long as it is fixed promptly and correctly at each visit. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case for Mark.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (chickdr)

"Unless they change BOTH the TCM and stepper motor you will always have the problem."
Your lips to VW's ears. I've been telling them this for the longest time but they just keep refusing. It is now so bad, forget about the shaking and binding, it feels as if it is stuck on a washboard surface at times.
I couldn't trade it in if I wanted to. Even Stevie Wonder could see this problem.
I'm going to try Danbury VW next. I've even tried to buy the parts, to no avail. No wholesaler has them. I had a private mechanic who did my brakes recently go to the dealer to get the parts and they refused to sell it to him, telling him it was a recall item involving a simple wire.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love this car. If it were not for the problems that VW can't or won't resolve, I'd still be smiling every time I get in it.

·
Banned
12,817 Posts
Re: (mdjak)

"Unless they change BOTH the TCM and stepper motor you will always have the problem."
Your lips to VW's ears. I've been telling them this for the longest time but they just keep refusing. It is now so bad, forget about the shaking and binding, it feels as if it is stuck on a washboard surface at times.
I couldn't trade it in if I wanted to. Even Stevie Wonder could see this problem.
I'm going to try Danbury VW next. I've even tried to buy the parts, to no avail. No wholesaler has them. I had a private mechanic who did my brakes recently go to the dealer to get the parts and they refused to sell it to him, telling him it was a recall item involving a simple wire.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love this car. If it were not for the problems that VW can't or won't resolve, I'd still be smiling every time I get in it.

i get wholesale pricing on parts...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts