Alright..
Well, my coilpack is sealed, my aux water pump is replaced, and my
spark plugs are brand new, and my pads and rotors are brand new (no,
they're not dragging)..
Testing on my exhaust has shown no serious problems with the mixture
(according to my mechanic, who was otherwise useless in
troubleshooting this problem.. :/)
Yet my gas mileage is still disgustingly horrible. When I first start
it up it's around 4 mpg, and then slowly rises to around 10 mpg.
My longterm mileage is at 14mpg and still plummetting.
Any ideas for what else could cause this? My mechanic seems to care
less, which pissed me off, after all the money I have dumped into that
place (anyone know of a decent VW mechanic in the Nashville area?)
The amount of money I am spending on gas is starting to be a serious
drain on my pocketbook. Where's the gas going?!
--Chris

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: horrible mileage, round two (jmj)

Well, my mechanic can go to hell for all i care.. He basically blew me off about the mileage thing. Saying "your exhaust tested within the limits". Well, no poop. a cat converter can do a lot of good. Doesn't mean my car is running right, with FOUR MPG. Couldn't hurt him to investigate seeing as how I'd pay him for it and the amount of money I've spent at their place. Anyways. Not that I'm bitter.
Time to find a new mechanic, I guess. Could be bad timing, could be an ECU.. could be a fuel line leak/pump, could be O2 sensor.. too many things.. and I don't have time to figure it out myself :/

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: horrible mileage, round two (cwage)

I had a similar problem with my passat. On a full tank of gas I was only getting 200 miles and it turned out i had a break in a vaccum hose underneath the plenum in the front of the engine. Volkswagen being the great thieves they are charged me 3 hours labor to take the damn thing off and replace a $10 hose. Since I replaced that hose I have 240 miles and a 1/4 tank of gas left. But 4mpg... sheet i don't think a vaccum hose could do that.

[Modified by thecritik, 4:53 AM 1-29-2002]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: horrible mileage, round two (v b chil-n)

Just took a road trip in mine and got 424 miles before fill up. I also have some vacuum lines that are trashed, should increase after that. Up here we use oxygenated fuel during the winter, that also hurts your gas mileage.
If thats the kind of mileage you get, then you certainly have something going on.
Is yours a VR6 like mine???
Are your emissions ok at part and full throttle???????? Not just at idle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: horrible mileage, round two (dennisbennett)

Well, You guys are gonna love this.
I just took another look at my engine. Turns out it is indeed
the spark plug wires. They are arcing so bad in the front 3 cylinders
I can see it in daylight now.
Which means that my mechanic basically blew me off. He even said "the
wires on these cars are known for arcing real bad.. maybe on your next
tuneup we can replace them" ... ON MY NEXT TUNEUP?!?! I am getting 4
friggin mpg!! So what it boils down to is that they I guess didn't
feel like working on something that would generate so little money for
them. After I have given them nearly $4500 of my business in the past
4 months, they can't be bothered to change my spark plug wires??
Time to find a new mechanic -- one that gives a poop about my car.
So ANYways.. I am going to replace the plugwires ASAP.. I would
imagine that would clear it up.. I just ordered a new set overnight from adirondack..
--Chris

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: $4500 in four months (dennisbennett)

Ugh, you don't wanna know.. I had my clutch go and broke a tooth off first gear all in the same week.
Got it all fixed and then had my shifter linkage snap, two days later.
It was the worst month of my life..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: $4500 in four months (Clubdem)

Yikes! I was given an estimate from my friendly neighborhood VW dealer for $2400 for a heater core and EGR valve, then another mechanic gave me a $2100 estimate ($4500 too!) a week later for the replacement of the exhaust. The a**hole who sold me the car bought it a year ago from a guy who babied it, but this twerp really beat on it. THe reason for the new exhaust (even though 90% of the exhaust WAS new) was that the kid had the Catalytic converter cut out to "improve performance" (made the performance worse by eliminating all backpressure) and didn't bother to tell me. Of course, the car failed the strict emissions we have here in Mass., so being Polish, I took it to VW to check out why I was smelling smoke in the engine compartment only when I slowed down and to check the cause of the EMISSIONS PROBLEM. They told me that the emissions was a result of a bad EGR (dealer only at $650 plus $200 for a 15 minute install!) and that smell was coolant from a bad heater core. When I told them I didn't think it was the heater core because no fog, no damp foot, and no COOLANT smell, they said their "best tech" said that it was definitely the heater core. I bought the car through ebay Motors so they gave me like $1100 for the problems which was cool, but I couldn't bring myself to spend the $2400. I looked at the car myself and discovered what was causing the smell--the small "s"-shaped hose that comes out of t he head and goes into the air intake was cracked and leaking oil drops onto the exhaust manifold, causing smoke that I could smell until I started to speed up, then the smoke was blown away. VW wanted $79 for the hose! I bought a reasonable facsimile from a local auto parts store for $3.50.
Mileage was about 19, so I checked the engine and heard major vacuum leaks (that VW missed). The little vacuum damper (plastic whiskey flask-shaped thing that two hoses run into) was cracked and I epoxied it. Another vacuum hose was melted by the exhaust manifold. Replaced and rerouted it. Put new plugs in. Mileage went up to around 25. Then, took it to the other mechanic before I took it for an emissions retest and he informed me of the "problem" and told me about the $2100 replacement cost (because they didn't do any welding and a straight pipe had been welded where the catalyst was and the O2 sensor was welded into it too!). I wanted to beat this kid who sold me the car with the catalyst, but asked about a mechanic that would do it. The other mechanic told me that they would replace only the catalyst and O2 sensor and the price would be $360 for the catalyst, $189 for the O2 sensor and $200 for labor ($749!). I said NOPE and went home and went on the internet. Ordered the catalytic converter for $120 from Alloemautoparts.com and a new Bosch O2 sensor from a dealer on ebay for $80. Both arrived in a few days and I had the welding company down the street from my house do the work. They had two welders and worked for a little over an hour for $65 for a total of $265 instead of $2100. The $2400 job was fixed with $14 in parts and a little over an hour of my own labor. So, I think $279 beats $4500 everyday, all day, in every way. So many mechanics SUCK. Now, the car gets 28 mpg, but I know it should do a bit better (the average between city and highway is 25.5 mpg).
Just got a price from Foreign Autpart for the Bilstein Sport struts for the front. They want $249 a piece and alloemautoparts.com has them for $138 a piece. Gee, I don't know who to do with. I AM Polish after all...http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?cmd=reply&id=1971729

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Re: horrible mileage, round two (jmj)

Quote, originally posted by jmj »
Maybe your mechanic is siphoning your tank at night.
Hey, it could happen.

LOL haaaaahahahaahhahaaaaa ****ing hilarious

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: horrible mileage, round two (Armani)

I was beginning to think that the mechanic was monitoring my email and rearranging my vacuum hoses while I was asleep. WHO said I was paranoid? They got to you, didn't they? 'Told you I was a paranoid Passat owner who has delusions of mechanic persecution, huh! I'll show them. I'll show them ALL!!! Heh, heh, heh... Been studying. Been studying all 3 cds of my Mitchell Passat Manual and got the parts list memorized. Just wait. They'll wish they never got it in their head to follow me all over town and pee in my gas tank. Yeah.
(the green guys are my mechanics! See, I told ya!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.