VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so here's the deal. Whenever I take a right-hand turn there is a horrific screeching sound emanating from one of the drive wheels. It increases in frequency as I accelerate in the turn, but reduces in pitch as I accelerate. This sound does not occur when turning left or driving in a straight line.

The sound its self seems to be metal-to-metal instead of the tire just rubbing on something. There is no damper in performance, just this loud and embarrassing screeching sound - it seriously seems like something is going fail very soon.

Thanks in advance for all and any of your help.

EDIT: The car has 102,xxx miles and has had all maintenance done on time - including the serpentine belt which is usually culprit in cases like these. I also replaced the CV boots about a year ago; same with the serpentine belt.

· Registered
4,042 Posts
jack up the front end and take a look underneath, I had a similar noise from a bent splash shield once, it showed up at a strange time. I got a rock stuck in between my splash shield and my rotor on my work car the other day, did the same thing.

I'd also check things like your caliper guide pins on your brakes, if those get sticky, which they probably are, they can hang up and make your brakes do funny things. had this happen when I put the GLI brakes on my wagon, cleaned up the pins, silicone lube and no more problems.

It's obvious that something is being stressed when you are making your right hand turns, so it's more likely than not something in the rotating assembly. sorry for the novel, hope this helps. :beer:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.