VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, aside from a deeply unusual stretch in a ’62 Galaxie, I’ve had my Miata for five years. And in all that time, thousands of Canadian women have slept alone. In many ways, an ideal detente. Unfortunately, the vicissitudes of my delicious bagna càuda are such that when I was driving to Target to buy the greenest swimwear possible, there was an SUV that interrupted my tidy progress around a 90° bend, piloted by a deeply unpleasant woman on a phone who put the thing in my lane.

I drove off the road so as not to allow her the dignity of broadsiding and murdering me, and my front suspension looked like this:

That was a new wheel, a new shock, OEM upper and lower control arms, sway bar end link, tie rod, OEM subframe, and so forth. Since the lady ran off, and none of the witnesses got the plate, insurance wouldn’t cover it as I don’t carry collision, and I could not defeat my State Farm agent in brutal, ritualized hand-to-hand combat. But then, as I recovered from my letter-opener wounds, the car was back!

But the cost of fixing it was such that I could either pay for grad. school or keep the Miata. So it got sold to a Floridian in Florida, which is a land I have heard of.

And thus my awesome little buddy of five years was stolen by the bagna càuda! It only broke down once (an exploding plastic radiator; if you have an NA MT Miata, just go to a junkyard, find a Miata with an automatic, and take its much-nicer metal radiator) in all that time, over 50k miles.

And, accordingly, I drove the borrowed cars of legend; a ’93 Accord and a ’98 New Beetle TDI. I like that generation of Accord especially, they’re fantastic A-B cars, and this one only has 55k on it. But it was not for sale, which I understand because when I fight crime, neither are my principles, as they are the intellectual property of the Monsanto Corporation.

So I needed a car that would sit around my grad. school while I bike everywhere, come on camping trips, and then go on 600 mile round-trips from my school to my girlfriend’s. I was looking for a 240D, manual, with A/C, but they are very expensive in good condition, as they’re what the people want, so I compromised and got this, the Fancy Stuttgart Taxi—an ’82 300D turbo, automatic, with all the options. More complicated than I’d like, but quite clean, and with maintenance records. At the price I found it, it was either this or enumerable beat-up 240Ds in the spec. I wanted, so I figured I’d bear with the possible headaches of the turbocharger, power windows, and automatic transmission. The auto is not geared properly (any more than 70mph and you feel like you’re guilty of murder), but I’ll just hope that it stays reliable until I could comfortably afford to swap in a manual, or find a better auto… for the time being, needs a little suspension work—shocks, an alignment—but is okay otherwise. So comfy.

Beyond ensuring reliability, my only plans are to install a roof-rack for my kayak, the later-type European headlights, and a steering wheel from the W115—an older style with a horn ring and such. The previous owner put on the older-style hubcaps (replacing the weird bottlecap things), so the wheels are taken care of. May the fishtanks of our neighbors smile upon cars that make forward progress.

·
Registered
41,822 Posts
I'd suggest that the GMC Rapist is a product of the Yayoi period, as evidenced by the copious use of iron, and that its seating arrangement suggests the taller frames of a people who had mastered wet-rice agriculture.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
at first i was all :sly:, but then i realized it was juniper monkeys and just :laugh: and :popcorn:

good story! :beer: :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'd suggest that the GMC Rapist is a product of the Yayoi period, as evidenced by the copious use of iron, and that its seating arrangement suggests the taller frames of a people who had mastered wet-rice agriculture.
Hmm, you have a point there. The 16-passenger capacity also points to a people who, as a consequence of those improvements in agriculture and associated factors, were experiencing a reduction in infant mortality.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I wish JM had written my school text books. They'd have been FAR more entertaining :laugh:

·
Registered
21,500 Posts
This thread + 1320-20V's thread + HaterSlayer's thread = TCL is back, baby!

:D

·
Banned
36,395 Posts

Absolutely!

Now, why aren't you on gmail ? :sly:

·
Premium Member
18,223 Posts

Thank God. I thought I was going to have to start insulting men again. :laugh:

·
Registered
10,618 Posts
I have to say, I'd be happy driving both the Miata, and the 300D.

Oh, and your writing is kinda like it was written in, say perhaps, russian, and then translated in google :D

Always amusing, and sometimes confusing - keep up the good work :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
So, aside from a deeply unusual stretch in a ’62 Galaxie, I’ve had my Miata for five years. And in all that time, thousands of Canadian women have slept alone. In many ways, an ideal detente. Unfortunately, the vicissitudes of my delicious bagna càuda are such that when I was driving to Target to buy the greenest swimwear possible, there was an SUV that interrupted my tidy progress around a 90° bend, piloted by a deeply unpleasant woman on a phone who put the thing in my lane.

There's always one in the herd that makes the rest of us look bad.

·
Registered
23,418 Posts
Hope you are doing well despite the raining peaches. You should be able to have your graduate studies paid - no?

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
From a previous thread we found out that Juniper Monkeys is a woman, and from this one, that she has a girlfriend.

So Juniper Monkeys is in fact a lesbian. Why didn't she get a Forester???

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hope you are doing well despite the raining peaches. You should be able to have your graduate studies paid - no?
Eh, they take care of most of it, but there's still a bunch of extraneous expenses that my crack team of mathemassassins (== Woodrow Wilson + exoskeleton + hatchets) are still adding up.

Good to see you back, JM, and may your genitals grow even less ambiguous over time!
:what:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts