VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the horsepower ratings that most car manufacturers give, are measured at the wheels? or at the crank? How about VW?
Thanks.

[Modified by pkroker, 12:32 PM 4-9-2002]

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Re: Horsepower Ratings (TurboC)

quote:[HR][/HR]crank crank crank, vw is at the crank too![HR][/HR]​
VW quotes 150hp on 1.8t except for this years cars but they are producing 155hp at the wheels.

·
Banned
4,560 Posts
Re: Horsepower Ratings (GTIVR6RACER4EVER)

There are rumours that VW is under rating the horsepower on the 1.8T cars in order to boost sales of the new six cylinder engine.
I have read here on the Vortex that people with STOCK, late model 1.8T cars have dynoed 175 HP AT THE WHEELS!!!
Think about that. The 1.8T cars are cheaper and lighter and may have as much power as the new six. You might not get a few of the extra bells and whistles, but you get a quicker car.
If it is true then the new 1.8T cars are a bargain

·
Banned
4,560 Posts
Re: Horsepower Ratings (lotus7)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'd add 10% and add 10 Hp if your figure is "at the wheels".
I'd subtract 10% and remove a further 10 HP if you are quoting a flywheel figure.[HR][/HR]​
What?
200bhp (crank) would be 170 at the wheels assuming a 15% drivetrain loss.
I have no idea what you are trying to describe.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Re: Horsepower Ratings (GTeeEYE)

quote:[HR][/HR]so what does 200bhp = to in our crank hp ??[HR][/HR]​
Assuming this query requests a conversion of 200 road hp to crank hp.
The car would be producing 230 at the crank.

Or,
200bhp=200 crank hp.

[Modified by lotus7, 6:57 AM 5-20-2002]

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Re: Horsepower Ratings (GTeeEYE)

They are describing flywheel horsepower. There are little differences between English horsepower and US horsepower due to different "politics", but brake hp = hp.
Some will measure engine power by removing the engine from the car and measure off the flywheel. This is flywheel hp or crank hp.
Another way is to drive the car on to a chassis dyno, or "rolling road" as it's called in the UK. The power is measured, and some fancy math and often a lot of fudging is done so that they can calculate the flywheel, or crank hp. The math is done to account for power loss thru the transmission,driveshaft(s), and tires, plus to correct for differences in atmospheric temp and pressure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.