VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to fix the intermittent cruise control issues on their Cabrio?
Mine works perfectly every morning for about 3 miles, then cuts out. I've replaced the brake light bulbs, which honestly did seem to help with consistency (it does work the first time I turn it on every time now), but it still cuts out.
So I'm wondering if maybe I've got a vacuum leak somewhere, thinking maybe pressure builds up and it leaks and shuts down....
I got my ODBII cable this past weekend, so I can finally troubleshoot my ABS issues too...

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Re: Hoses related to Cruise Control on the cabrio? (Raketemensch)

Check the mk4 forum FAQ sticky for the "Bentley" cruise control test. It's the same procedure on a Cabrio and will allow you to check for vacuum leaks.
Although, usually, it's just a crappy cruise control module. Extremely common in mk3s.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Re: Hoses related to Cruise Control on the cabrio? (DaveLinger)

Good reading on this in the MK3 FAQ too:http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3434133
General summary: yes, the CC module is often at fault. Solution: remanufactured(businesses that do this are listed in the FAQ) or buy a new one.
Mine works intermittently, usually after blowing heat through the left-hand duct on the dash for ~15-20 minutes. I've done the test, all of the switches work fine and all of my vacuum hoses are immaculate. I'm just putting off buying the new module right now.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Re: Hoses related to Cruise Control on the cabrio? (scidanw)

Sorry, I meant the mk3 forum. It's a mk3 module after all.
And for the record, I tried that mod and followed it to the T and it didn't work.

Modified by DaveLinger at 2:08 PM 2-13-2010

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FV-QR

Wow, $250 for a new module? Which will probably crap out like the original....
I think the Audiovox solution may work, but I'm not eager to dump the cash right now.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Raketemensch)

Quote, originally posted by Raketemensch »
Wow, $250 for a new module? Which will probably crap out like the original....
I think the Audiovox solution may work, but I'm not eager to dump the cash right now.

You can check the mk3 classifieds for used ones. I got a used one and it's not 100%, but it works a heckova lot better than my old one.

·
Registered
287 Posts

Quote, originally posted by DaveLinger »
Sorry, I meant the mk3 forum. It's a mk3 module after all.
And for the record, I tried that mod and followed it to the T and it didn't work.

Modified by DaveLinger at 2:08 PM 2-13-2010

The relay mod? I saw that results among the relay mod's creators were mixed to say the least. Judging from the reading, even some of the rebuilt ones don't work consistently either.

·
Registered
21,861 Posts
Re: Hoses related to Cruise Control on the cabrio? (scidanw)

Have yall tried to clean the electrical switches on the brake and clutch pedals. I can imagine that if the vacuum part isn't sealing correctly then there could be the cause of your vacuum leak.
You could test some of it with a mightyvac, and see if the majority of the system will hold a vacuum. As if you don't know that then all the rest is futile. As you pull a vacuum then you can watch to see if it is bleeding off.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts

Quote, originally posted by DaveLinger »
usually, it's just a crappy cruise control module. Extremely common in mk3s.

So true.
I was lucky with my '02 Cabrio in the eight years I owned it, but my daughter's '97 Jetta was a bear (and a fortune) to fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts