VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a hot tip that I got from my motorcycle racing buddies.
On motorcycles you encounter a lot of white wheels and they are a PAIN to clean, what with all the grease, dirt and brake dust thrown on them day in and say out.
I'm standing around my buddies shop and he's race prepping a customers bike when he whips out a bottle of " The Wax Shop's/ California Car Wax". Its a liquid wax that does not contain any silicone. You pour it on an old tee shirt and just start rubbing the wheel with it. The grime literely melted away. Then you just wipe it off. Waxing and cleaning in one step.
I grabbed a rag poured some on and took it out to my (pitted and forever black in the corners) wheels on my NB. What do you know it just melted the grime like it was butter.
I talked to my wife about it (she's a chemist) and she said well I guess it should work something about how likes mix and would cancel each other out.
All I know is it works my wheels look like new, it took very little energy, and It was cheap. I have used the mequire cleaner and most every thing on the market and it was just silly how fast this worked.
Make sure you don't use a regular paste wax because it will fling off and turn your tires white.

[Modified by eunos94, 10:53 AM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Re: Hot Tip for Cleaning wheels! (eunos94)

Glad to hear it worked for you! Where can you get this stuff? Personally, I've found that using a cleaner wax works well on your wheels. Then you follow it with a polymer sealant so it easier to clean later. Also, Simple Green in the Automotive strength (not the regular stuff!) works great for cleaning the tire sidewalls and getting a lot of the brake gunge off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: Hot Tip for Cleaning wheels! (Red Baron Golf)

I get my Wax Shop products at Pep Boys.
And he's right this stuff is amazing. It's a liquid carnuba suspended in some solvent that wipes on Any part of the car and hazes quickly. But it Doesn't screw up black rubber/trim like regular wax. If anything it brightens rubber up, so if your doing your wheels and hit the tires it doesn't get that nasty white haze.
I rotate my wheels twice a year, and do the wheel (insides to) with Wax shop.
During washes I just spray the wheel cleaner deep inside, blast with a hose through the wheel, and it's like New!
The wheel waxing tips on vortex have saved me 20 minutes a car wash.
More time for
!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Re: Hot Tip for Cleaning wheels! (Red Baron Golf)

Yeah if you wax your wheels when they are not dirty, they will be much easier to clean and the brake dust won't stick as well to them.
Anything to scrub those buggers less makes my day!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Re: Hot Tip for Cleaning wheels! (gtivrx)

After a good wax - in between washing and re-waxing, I use Maguire's Quick Detailer as well as MOTUL Silicon Clean (What I use on my Bike). This puts a nice silicone coat and makes the dust/dirt come off (wipe or wash) very easily. Honda Spray Cleaner (similar product) is also very good and is available at ANY Honda Motorcycle Shop. It's very popular with many riders - we use it on everything on the bike....
Rick T.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Re: Hot Tip for Cleaning wheels! (aircooled6)

speaking of motorcycles, I have some and I found a great total cycle cleaner that I use on everything now. It's called S100 and you just spray it on and hose off, but I use a sponge on really grimey surfaces. Takes off brake dust, bugs, grease, you name it and it's safe for paint and platics. I use it on my wheels, in the wheelwells, in the engine bay, on the front of the bumper and behind the wheel openings where tar and road dirt build up. It's available at any motorcycle shop. Honda sells it as Hondabrite cleaner. It's pricey, but well worth it. The only thing you have to watch is that you never use it on anything hot like your engine after running because if it dries on, you won't get it off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.