VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2095 Posts

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No, not pics of cars on fire.
Nothing stolen.

Yes I know we have a die-cast forum, but there’s more traffic on a Pyongyang toll road.

Mattel has been introducing some interesting stuff. From 60/70s muscle to 80/90s tuners. Now samplings from VAG, Magnus Walker, etc. I can’t leave a Target with at least $10 in Hot Wheels (usually buying duplicates for my son.)

When I was in OH last week, the local Wally World had a bin full of these Lamborghini specific ones, $.97 each. I picked up three lots of them and I see them on eBay for $25 a lot.

But it’s a shame really because they end up here. Yes all those boxes/totes are filled. I have a disease.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Good to see they're making cool stuff again, I feel like they were making a bunch of lame cars for a while there.

I collected with my dad throughout my childhood, I had 2500+ NIP cars up until about three years ago. After moving with them twice I was over it, especially since all they did was sit in totes like you've got. I sold as much as I could but got tired of trying to list/ship cars on eBay and eventually gave them all away. I kept exactly 100 cars and as much as I'd love to buy more when I see cool stuff like that 356, I just hate having the clutter now. :laugh:

·
Registered
10 G37S 35th, 00 Silverado, 15 5
740 Posts
I buy the ones I like, but eventually I cut them open with a razor and file the card away for the artwork, and then put the actual die cast into this shot glass holder turned 90 degrees: https://www.michaels.com/10147365.html
I used to keep them all packaged, but when I realized that standard cycle cars aren't, and never will be, worth anything special, I put them on display where they can be seen and handled better. I'm also sorta tempted to mod the frame/case with LEDs to put some little spotlights on the cars. Maybe someday.

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
Don't feel bad, I have a ton of Hot Wheels and larger models too. I had to make the decision to quit buying them, as I've ran out of room to store them. I had to quit buying car mags too!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Sorry no pics, but I do the same for my sons. There are probably 3-40 cars at this point, with several more tucked away for future gifts, etc. Got some really good ones as well. Mattel has really cranked out some interesting ones over the last couple of years. Latest pickup was a JDM 240Z and a Ducati. Can't wait to give them to the boys for Xmas.:beer:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
yep, looks like what I've been buying too. I inherited a small collection from my dad, but started actively collecting when Jada released all those high quality VW models. since then, I'd been picking up anything interesting, whenever I see them. I don't go actively shopping. I have over 50 of the most rare/valuable/favorite on display at home, in individual jewel cases; another 45-ish at work as discussion pieces, and easily that many still in packaging in storage, for when I have time to build a display for them. most are 1/50 or 1/64 scale matchbox size, some are larger, some smaller.

·
Registered
fahrvergnügen
5,345 Posts
I buy the ones I like, but eventually I cut them open with a razor and file the card away for the artwork, and then put the actual die cast into this shot glass holder turned 90 degrees: https://www.michaels.com/10147365.html
I used to keep them all packaged, but when I realized that standard cycle cars aren't, and never will be, worth anything special, I put them on display where they can be seen and handled better. I'm also sorta tempted to mod the frame/case with LEDs to put some little spotlights on the cars. Maybe someday.
This is a great idea. I think I'm going to do this in my office at work.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Started getting back into Hot Wheels recently. I usually stick to buying the ones I am interested in. Mostly Euro cars. I am looking for the Mercedes Cosworth 190E, that thing is tits. I have most of the Race Day cars despite being ~$3 per car.

For some reason the wife rolls her eyes and scoffs each time I dart towards the Hot Wheels aisle. I mean, there are worse addictions more expense addictions out there. These are only $1 and reusable for future generations. I mean, she doesn't even know how many guns and how much ammunition I have anymore.

I didn't know until a few months ago that there are Treasure Hunts for these. Special ones Mattel makes in super small quantities that do become worth money. I noticed this after I stumbled across r/HotWheels. Oh, and not to mention the modding people do to them. Wheel swaps, painting, etc.

Also, I saw Wal-Mart on Black Friday is selling a 50 pack of Hot Wheels for $25.

Happy Collecting!

·
Registered
2019 Alltrack-S
10,973 Posts
if im at the store, and i see one that catches my eye ill pick it up.... how my cubicle wall looks currently... have ran out of room to keep them singles.... so some are doubled up (same model,different colorways, etc...) all pretty much sorted by manufacturer...

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Started getting back into Hot Wheels recently. I usually stick to buying the ones I am interested in. Mostly Euro cars. I am looking for the Mercedes Cosworth 190E, that thing is tits. I have most of the Race Day cars despite being ~$3 per car.

For some reason the wife rolls her eyes and scoffs each time I dart towards the Hot Wheels aisle. I mean, there are worse addictions more expense addictions out there. These are only $1 and reusable for future generations. I mean, she doesn't even know how many guns and how much ammunition I have anymore.

I didn't know until a few months ago that there are Treasure Hunts for these. Special ones Mattel makes in super small quantities that do become worth money. I noticed this after I stumbled across r/HotWheels. Oh, and not to mention the modding people do to them. Wheel swaps, painting, etc.

Also, I saw Wal-Mart on Black Friday is selling a 50 pack of Hot Wheels for $25.

Happy Collecting!
Of all my years of browsing, I've only found one Treasure Hunt. I believe it's a 1998, or 99 series.

This might be worth changing out of the Thanksgiving sweatsedo for.
Yes indeed!

·
Registered
Far East GLI
1,757 Posts
Been collecting for over 15 years, but have always played with Hot Wheels and Matchbox...HW has been on a JDM hype as of late. Good stuff coming out if you like that and Euro.

I'm sure a lot of guys here are in the know but for those that are new, best way to keep up with the latest releases, these sites are my go to ones:

http://t-hunted.blogspot.com/
https://lamleygroup.com/

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm old....so that being said I still have all my hot wheels and matchboxes from when I was a kid.I have them displayed in a shadow box I made. My oldest hot wheel is a 67 firebird convertible......from 1967. My matchboxes pre date that. I think including the two or three corgi mini coopers I have its @ 80 cars. All mint or near mint.You see I was a dorky kid who collected the cars instead of playing with them. Sadly no boxes. but I have a few of the badges that came with the hot wheels. My favorite is my all chrome mustang I got from the hot wheels club @ 1969.

Related subject. I buy up all the classic mini cooper hot wheels and matchboxes that I see when I'm out shopping. I give them to little kids when at shows or vintage races while driving the 1:1 classic minis I have. I always figure I became a car guy because of those tiny cars and maybe I can do the same for some little boy or girl. I was at a show once and a dad of one of my kids came over and said his boy brought the cars I gave him to the show "because they are show cars too" I took a look and they were on the dash of his dad's car.

1 - 20 of 2095 Posts