1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 VW GTI SE
19,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
House of Representatives Wants to Reverse GM and Chrysler Dealership Closings

http://www.detnews.com/article...sings
The House Dems and Republicans want to reverse the forced closings of some of GM's and Chrysler's excessive dealer body. I am not sure how these politicians and dealers cannot see that Toyota and Honda are cleaning Detroit's clock, with less than half of the number of dealerships? In the case of Chrysler, aren't the axed dealers already done for? GM has given its dealerships more time, and has been more flexible than Chrysler, but a lot of GM's closings were coming from the winding down of Saab, Pontiac, Saturn and Hummer. Does the House plan on forcing GM to keep those brands open, if it overturns the GM dealership closings? I also am a bit suspicious of these actions, especially because it comes after all of Chrysler's targeted dealerships have liquidated, and after many of GM's dealerships have started to close. This might just be political grand standing, to show that the House member "care about the small business owner, and the little guys that work for him".

Modified by whitejeep1989 at 6:41 PM 7-9-2009

Modified by whitejeep1989 at 6:44 PM 7-9-2009

·
Registered
11,544 Posts
Re: (Uranium235)

Quote, originally posted by Uranium235 »
They are responding to the short term needs of their constituents, not the long term health of the domestic auto industry.

Basically, its a cluster****.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
FV-QR

Wait, so government meddling with a private business is ultimately bad for everyone? This is new and exciting.

13,868 Posts
Re: House of Representatives Wants to Reverse GM and Chrysler Dealership Closings (whitejeep1989)

Yeah I figured that the politicians would seize on any opportunity to get their greedy little paws on the carmakers agenda, especially if it makes for a good campaign ad and more contributions.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Re: House of Representatives Wants to Reverse GM and Chrysler Dealership Closings (whitejeep1989)

They can have all the hearings they want. Good luck passing legislation that does anything. And even if they do...VETO. This is just posturing and pandering. Sometimes I wish Congressmen would just say that there is nothing they can do and to suck it up.
2 days ago a Congressman had a hearing on the safety of bottled water. During the hearing, it came out that bottled water is actually more regulated than tap water.
3 days ago Senator Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) had a hearing on the BCS because Utah went undefeated but wasn't invited to the BCS title game.
Lots of important things happening on Capital Hill everyday.

Modified by WakeHead at 8:41 AM 7-10-2009

·
Registered
2015 VW GTI SE
19,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: House of Representatives Wants to Reverse GM and Chrysler Dealership Closings (WakeHead)

While I am not in favor of reversing the closings, I am somewhat glad to see that this is a bi-partisan clusterfunk.

·
Registered
50,266 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.