VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the 1.8t's certainly aren't doing to well, what about the TDI's are they still reasonably reliable. getting better or worse??? I am currently kind of concerned due to some of the recent problems with coilpacks on the gas cars and thewindow regulaters, and worried that the new ones might has some hidden hideous problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: how are the 03 TDI's holding up, many problems, I might be buying one soon (austin neuschafer)

Well, there are no coil packs on the TDI to worry about..

VW has allegedly stopped using the plastic window regular clips in 2003 models, so that shouldn't be a problem.
No word on MAF reliability yet, although nothing appears to have changed.
I'm at 7800 miles and no problems. *fingers crossed*

[Modified by dag, 4:05 PM 1-25-2003]

·
Registered
615 Posts
Re: how are the 03 TDI's holding up, many problems, I might be buying one soon (dag)

Haven't had any significant problems yet. So far, only one MAF covered under warranty after a little pissing and moaning. Love it! My wife and I went from a '98 Integra to the 2000 TDI. Now with 63K plus, we may buy another one. However, I just picked up a '92 GLI 2.0 16V. I guess I just missed fixing cars.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: how are the 03 TDI's holding up, many problems, I might be buying one soon (TDItwist)

my main worry is that VW might have some hidden problem in hte TDI, just like they did the 1,8t and vr6 with the coilpacks and thejunk window regulators.
what is the problem with the MAF units. I have never heard of hondas or domestic cars having silly problems like these
with MAF's that is

·
Registered
63 Posts
Re: how are the 03 TDI's holding up, many problems, I might be buying one soon (austin neuschafer)

i have a 2002 TDI golf GL, with 12,300 miles. No problems so far. The only mod i have is the Wett chip. Everything seems to be solid.

peace
chi

·
Registered
11,786 Posts
Re: how are the 03 TDI's holding up, many problems, I might be buying one soon (chi42069)

Crappy window regulators => FIXED.
Weak glovebox doors => FIXED.
Short timing belt change interval => FIXED.
Monsoon stereo wiring issue => FIXED.
Relay 109 => Better, still not 100% (but this is a $20 problem if it happens, not a major disaster, as long as you are aware of the symptoms - see http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/ )
Coilpacks => Don't have 'em, not an issue.
High oil consumption => this is a 2.0 problem only.
Intake clogging => Still an issue, but very easily preventable with 30 seconds of VAG-COM work.
MAF sensors => Still an issue, so keep that intake looking stock and be nice to the dealer.

·
Registered
63 Posts

this problably sounds stupid, but the window regulator is for electric windows right? I have a 2002 GL with roll up windows. SO there shouldn't be any problems?
peace

chi http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: how are the 03 TDI's holding up, many problems, I might be buying one soon (chi42069)

quote:[HR][/HR]this problably sounds stupid, but the window regulator is for electric windows right? I have a 2002 GL with roll up windows. SO there shouldn't be any problems?
peace

chi http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
true, it was only the power windows.
and I will get a vag-com to save myself the time of fooling with the dealers service department

1 - 10 of 10 Posts