VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Noticed while going for a leisurely walk that many an uber driver likes to warm up a cold engine in 20 degree weather by revving to redline quite a few times. How bad is this engine wear wise or does it not affect the modern engine much???

Saw it done on a few toyota camrys felt bad for the mercedes metris as those probably fall apart even without the abuse.

·
Premium Member
12,573 Posts
The Camry is likely using 0W-20, so it's not as bad as something running thicker oil, but it's still not ideal if you care about your engine.....or the environment for that matter as the catalytic isn't up to temp either.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You interact with Uber drivers and ice cold engines regularly? :confused:
On my walk I pass by many taxi depots (area has about 5-6 taxi shops that rent/lease ubers)

I know theyre cold due to the high idle:laugh::laugh:

One gentleman seemed to have been featured on hoonigan he sat on the rev limiter for a good minute , as a car guy it hurt me :p

·
Registered
246 Posts
considering that pistons, when cold, are rattling around the block and smacking metal which, when warm, would be a closer fit (yes I know the oil helps). You are asking for trouble.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,077 Posts
Cheap car you don't care about? Pft, why not?

Something a bit older, say.... European? Yeah, no. It's going to warm up before passing 3,000 RPM's.

·
Registered
19,561 Posts
My Yaris had it rough when we lived in these apartments for a few years.

My parking space was in the red circle (that is actually it) and I had to pull out and quickly get up to 60-65 MPH. I'd let it idle for 30 seconds or so when it was really cold but I'd usually hit at least 4500 in 1st when pulling out into traffic, sometimes winding it all the way out (otherwise I'd never be able to pull out).

But it gets synthetic oil and still runs fine so whatev. That is why I bought it.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,148 Posts
considering that pistons, when cold, are rattling around the block and smacking metal which, when warm, would be a closer fit (yes I know the oil helps). You are asking for trouble.
Yeah it's reasonably bad. The oil weight is one thing, but as stated here the heat expansion is another. Bearings and rings and pistons all expand at different rates and are designed to be the same size at temperature. Things are either rattling or binding to some degree until that happens.

That said, in a Camry? Probably not going to destroy too much, it's not high-end and the tolerances aren't going to be pushing limits. By contrast I wouldn't be surprised if a single cold run to redline would destroy an F1 engine. They actually cycle heated fluids before starting them, the tolerances are so tight.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it's reasonably bad. The oil weight is one thing, but as stated here the heat expansion is another. Bearings and rings and pistons all expand at different rates and are designed to be the same size at temperature. Things are either rattling or binding to some degree until that happens.

That said, in a Camry? Probably not going to destroy too much, it's not high-end and the tolerances aren't going to be pushing limits. By contrast I wouldn't be surprised if a single cold run to redline would destroy an F1 engine. They actually cycle heated fluids before starting them, the tolerances are so tight.
I take that short term it wont do anything but perhaps at 150k it might burn oil as opposed to a babied engine. Recently saw an nyc green can woth 325k was impressed

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
whenever i see someone rinse the motor out first thing out of the company parking lot

·
Registered
645 Posts
Sometimes My mother needs to borrow my now 10 year old S4 and I tell her keep it below 3k till it’s up to temp.... the face she gives me is priceless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
On the same subject, my wife has this new habit of starting her GTI and immediately putting it in reverse to back out of the driveway. Then she started telling me how "all these lights keep coming on" ABS, TPMS, etc..etc... I took her car to run a few errands one day, started it up, let it idle, connect Bluetooth, all good. Yeah...I finally told her she's not even letting the thing figure out wtf is going on with the DSG much less giving the engine 4 seconds to even warm up. It's got less than 50K on the clock and an oil leak already....wonder why???:banghead:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
On the same subject, my wife has this new habit of starting her GTI and immediately putting it in reverse to back out of the driveway. Then she started telling me how "all these lights keep coming on" ABS, TPMS, etc..etc... I took her car to run a few errands one day, started it up, let it idle, connect Bluetooth, all good. Yeah...I finally told her she's not even letting the thing figure out wtf is going on with the DSG much less giving the engine 4 seconds to even warm up. It's got less than 50K on the clock and an oil leak already....wonder why???:banghead:
Nah that's just because it's a VW lol. My wife did that with her first car, an older Kia Rio, for 8 years. No issues.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,077 Posts
Sometimes My mother needs to borrow my now 10 year old S4 and I tell her keep it below 3k till it’s up to temp.... the face she gives me is priceless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My wife likes to take my car to run errands every now and then, and I always tell her to keep it under 3,000 RPM's until you've gone a few miles.

She looks at me like I'm an idiot, and I'm sure she doesn't listen to me. Oh well. She pulls out of the driveway nice and easy, which is at least respectable. :laugh:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts