VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2000 jetta 2.0 and i wanted to know if there is anything that i could do to it to make it have a deeper sound without getting an intake or exhaust or anything just yet. one of my friends has an 86 gti and he drilled holes in his airbox and another friend of mine has an 80 something bmw and he just took something out of his airbox. is there anything that i can do for mine? if there is, directions would be appreciated. thanks.

· Registered
600 Posts
Re: how can i get a good sound but not a lot of money? (Passetta00)

yeah, its called swiss cheesing. drill holes in the bottom of your airbox. NOT THE TOP! do a search on it, theres a ton of info. look in the diy section of the mk4 golf/jetta section. i think its in there. make sure you get a k&n panel filter though. it'll sound pretty decent by then. hope that helped. if not, shoot an IM

· Registered
6,772 Posts
Re: how can i get a good sound but not a lot of money? (AudioHymns)

ya, I heard to do them in the bottom, and some in the side, near the fender. I was thinking of doing this myself actually. I also heard it increases throttle response. Search for it on Google, and you can find before and after sound clips.

· Registered
6,772 Posts
Re: how can i get a good sound but not a lot of money? (79wabbitLS)

Okay, I just swiss cheesed my airbox.......its worth it! I have a 2.0L and boy, it sure sounds nice! Don't overdo it though, only need like 9 or 10 holes in the side near the fender and the bottom near the fender, it really sounds good considering its free. Not like an exhaust, but you CAN hear the difference. Also, it does increase the throttle response a bit too. I am totally happy with it! Maybe a K&N filter would be a good idea too.

· Registered
8,999 Posts
Re: how can i get a good sound but not a lot of money? (1988VWJETTA)

http://www.venommotorsports.co...d.asp
There's the link on how-to "swiss-cheese" your air-box. It'll save you some money instead of going and getting the P-flo. You can get the same results with the P-flo, but you have to mate it up with something like the ABD/Midknight Motorsport Air-bath kit. Actually, that's the route I went.. but, you'll be looking at more money for similar results.
As far as exhaust, there are lots of different options out there, most people will say Techtonics Tuning. Probably the best bang for your buck on a commercial exhaust system.
Also, really considering getting a chip with the money you saved on the intake. Reason being, you'll be pulling more air into the system with the intake (or, at least freeing some of the restrictions), and then allowing it to escape more efficiently with the exhaust. The chip will help regulate all of that by upping the fuel curve to compensate. Also, raising your rev limiter a bit. By tying all of those together (chip, intake, exhaust) you're really going to wake your engine up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.