VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I broke one of the front vent (the one that blows air to the windshield) cover and it fell straight down. I figured I could just grab it so I had to break the other side, which fell straight down as well (about a year ago...). I can use 3/4 heating controls, but not the one that directs air directly to the upper area.
My question is how can I get them out? It's impossible to fish them out, as I've tried. I need to take something off to get to them. I checked out this thread, http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=961773, and it doesn't really show how to access the area where they are resting atm.
Any ideas/DYI threads on this issue?
Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (Bazmcc)

are there any pictures or anything which can show what it looks like?
I really have no idea as to how i would get at this thing...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (citizencane86)

Ok so...
I pulled out the glove box, and all other 'plastic' blocking me access to the vent.
I have the stereo unit hanging together by the cables running to the vent - I am not going to mess with that. I thought that if I removed the middle venting unit, I could reach the two peices, but there is a wall inside the vent, preventing me from getting there (Which makes sense, but still .......wtf?!

It looks like there is only one way to do this without disassembling the vent cables - something I 'will not' do. I need to remove the entire 'top' part of the car. My question is how? I am worried that any attempt could trigger the air bag to go off - a big no no.
What can I do to get at this?

Mean while, I used the glove-box switch (identical to the e-brake switch) in place of the e-brake "supposedly broken" switch and there was no change on the e-brake light. I am certain that if the problem persists by june 1, I will need a new speedometer. Not that big of an issue anymore.
I am now going after all of the smaller problems I just want resolved, and I've done a pretty good job so far; except this vent problem, lol...

If all else fails and I need to take it in (something that is forseeable), what else should I remove to cut down on the labor cost/time to resolve it?

Modified by citizencane86 at 5:17 PM 8-19-2009

1 - 4 of 4 Posts