VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I make my saggy bumper happy again? Acceleration rattle?
The front bumper on my 1992 VW Jetta was knocked out of place. From the front everything looks fine but on both sides the bumper has been ‘bumped’ off of the mounting brackets and thus each side is sagging about an inch and a half. I’ve tried using my common sense…lifting it onto the brackets, checking to see if anything looks to be missing, etc. with no luck. Is there a trick or more likely, some instructions on how to remount it?
As for the acceleration rattle…gone down there tightened things up yet the rattle remains when accelerating quickly, the rattle sounds like it is located right underneath the accelerator. Suggestions?

·
Registered
10,758 Posts
Re: How can I make my saggy bumper happy again? Acceleration rattle? (sbozly)

You are going to have to pull the bumper (or at least the skin) to see what broke. To remove the bumper, there are four (two on each side) 17mm bolts through the front cross member and two (one on each side) 17 mm bolts through the sides of the frame rail.
If it is the plastic guide on the fender, those are cheap and easy to replace (two push plugs). If it is the mount on the inside of the bumper skin, it is slightly more complicated. Either find another skin or try to MacGyver a replacement bracket.
As for your rattle, it sounds like your heat shield.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Re: How can I make my saggy bumper happy again? Acceleration rattle? (wagenbob)

I don't mean to ruin your thread but.... we should start a collection of different ways people have attempted to keep there front big bumper skin on. Sheetrock screws are my personal favorite. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
WOW first vortex post http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Welcome sbozly

Modified by Gin at 10:16 PM 6-18-2006

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.