VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Re: How can I tell If I have Corrado butter wheels? (Johnny Octane)

What do you mean by "butter wheels"? That would probably help get more replies.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: How can I tell If I have Corrado butter wheels? (vr6Cop)

Well, a friend of mine said it was common knowledge that VW sent a generation of Corrados from the factory, with BBS wheels that were abnormally soft, bent easily. Neither of us know how to identify such wheels (model year? identification marking?) I'd like to know if anybody can help me identify such wheels.

·
Registered
964 Posts

First, we are only taking about Corrados here. From my experience it was the initial multi spoked G-60 wheels that were abnormally soft and were replaced with the BBS wheels to solve the problem.
I was going to get a set of the early multi spoke G-60 rims for my Scirocco but heard from so many people on the CCA list that they were soft and bent easily. So instead I got a set of the G-60 BBS wheels and they were very very strong!
While I was at the ND free inspection day a G-60 Corrado came in with the stock multi spoke wheels on and the tech imediately hand spun each wheel/tire by hand while it was on the lift. The tech grinned and the owner was in shock, every tire wobbled!

Good luck,
Corrado Dad

·
Registered
2,720 Posts

Just look. The original G60 wheels were 16-spoke jibbies with an ugly centercap with four circles on it, mimicking the bolt pattern. The later BBS wheels were a classic mesh style with BBS centercaps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.