VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, usually I don't post here but this morning I saw a picture of some special edition Aston Martin DBS and it had these seats in it...

Which made my think about how come a lot of expensive cars such as the Aston above have their seats in this specific rhombus/square pattern?

Here are some more examples:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Because it's decorative and more expensive to do?
How exactly are they more expensive to do? I mean I can think of many other patterns that would look good AND probably be more expensive to make. I mean these look good and all but I don't understand how come so many car manufacturers decided to use this specific pattern...

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I beg the question.... why the sudden surge in chrome trim between the tail-lights?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
How exactly are they more expensive to do? I mean I can think of many other patterns that would look good AND probably be more expensive to make. I mean these look good and all but I don't understand how come so many car manufacturers decided to use this specific pattern...
Oh I see, you are asking about that specific quilted pattern, like what's the origin of that design? I'm going to go out on a limb and say it has something to do with "racing history".

But still any decorative pattern is going to be more expensive to do.

·
Registered
M340i xDrive
9,131 Posts
It's expensive because to do it right isn't trivial. Besides, how out of place would diamond tufting be on a Camry?

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
20,698 Posts
Dimaond quilted and diamond tufted upholstery has been in high end furniture for centuries. Variations on it like this have been considered high end vastly longer than cars have been around.

Interior of a stagecoach:

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Which made my think about how come a lot of expensive cars such as the Aston above have their seats in this specific rhombus/square pattern?
It's also referred to as Diamond Tuck. Lots of hot rodders do it as well. It's an artistic design queue.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.