VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Re: how did everyone pass smog with their turbo kits (TheCancer)

I think the solution is....take the turbo off! Unfortunate, but true!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Re: how did everyone pass smog with their turbo kits (XSiVE)

I know of a turbo corrado that passed the smog check with 1 muffler and no cat in cali. i dont live there but i hear they are very strict.

·
Banned
483 Posts

Hey,
I'm in CA as well and this was of concern to me as well as I'm another one of those "soon to be turbo" project guys. What I've been told by my friend's dad who's a CHP officer (California Highway Patrol, for all you non-CA people), aftermarket turbo installation is legal in California only when the car retains all of it's emissions equipment / OBD (if so equipped) and these have to be functional. This permits the use of the turbo on a car and it can be admitted for testing; if you tamper with / remove stuff (CAT, EGR, etc), they aren't even supposed to admit you for the smog check as you are already failing the visual

Then, it still has to pass the smog at the same level as there was for the same car in its naturally aspirated form.
No idea whether your car is OK for the visual (& if it satisfies the above listed) - seems (from your signature) you've put some work into it!
I'm just piecing my turbo stuff together (got a rebuilt turbo, Cartech RR FPR, FMIC, Quaife & some other junk so far, about to build up a tranny) and I'm gonna install it in the summer after I finish other projects. My car is still NA - mind you, I've had a gutted cat for the past few years and I passed the emmissions with it (twice!).
Reason beeing... I run MSD 6A ignition box and Blaster 2 coil, thru some fat 10.6mm wires to Bosch triple coppers (turbo peeps should probably use Denso Iridiums) and a little British-made gadget called CB-26P. This thing has been the latest rage in Europe... I got after my cousin in Europe told me how much improvement he saw on his 4dr Golf GTI VR6: better performance- cleaner burn & higher MPG - lower emissions. Here's a link to the original website: www.ecotekplc.com - go to Reviews- a Mitsubishi Evo Lancer turbo with no cat passed the emissions with these gadgets installed. They have a handfull of reviews from every performance magazine you can think of, several VW ones including; this product also has the seal of approval of what is a British version of our Better Business Bureau.
I also have the same installed on our 4x4 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L V6 - passed CA emissions with gutted cat last fall with flying colors plus I got 2-3 more MPG out of it (15-20%) The gutted cat casing is in for the visual purpose only as I am not polluting the air anyway, so no tree huggers would egg my car

Anyway, look it up, if you get it (about $70, MSD set-up is another $160 for 6A and the coil) - I can almost guarantee you'll pass as far as emissions go if your engine is put together right. Then, you just either have to find a garage with some old guy working there where they don't do the visual, just the "pipe sniff test" or get your stuff looking legal.
I love sharing stuff like this with all you fellow dubbers (other than my ghetto mods)

Good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by vw_pilot, 7:15 AM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: how did everyone pass smog with their turbo kits (vw_pilot)

Try to find someone you know that has a station. or if you can throw the cat back on the car. My buddy did that with my car and it past. Good luck man.
later

·
Registered
375 Posts
Re: how did everyone pass smog with their turbo kits (4DrTurbo)

the fuel system just needs to be tuned.and litmit the boost to 1 or 2 psi for smoge or (aircare as we call it here). a turbo car is acutally more effecient if tuned correctly. so it should have no problems passing.i know up here you can pass with no emmision equipment as long as it meets the readings for your veichcle.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

the problem is that some guys are complete nazis when it comes to the intake setup. what they're SUPPOSED to do is open up a book that has a picture of the intake assembly and compare it to what you have in your car. if you doesn't look like what they have in the picture then you automatically fail visual. i had one guy send me home because i didn't have the warm air recirculation hose hooked up (off the exhaust manifold).
some guys won't even test your car if it looks modified because there's hefty fines if they get busted. and then there's those who will hold the probe outside the car while they run the test. i like those
also there are two areas in CA that don't require you to smog your car at all, but i dont know which ones they are.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Re: how did everyone pass smog with their turbo kits (rocco2nr)

I took mine in for the first time last friday, and she past with no problems

I was soo worried it wouldn't

·
Registered
163 Posts

Had the 79 Callaway smogged and passed.....was pooping in my pants the whole time...actually took 2 times...I had to put on all of the stock vacuum hoses and canister (none of this stuff worked, was just there for the visual) took it back and passed.....Victory Auto service 151 S. ave 24 LA 323 223 5555 they're cool there... IM me for any details.....

·
Registered
1,882 Posts

I would just lower the boost as much as you can and make sure all you emissions equipment is in place to pass visual. Or just find a crooked shop and pass the dude a benjamin.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vw_pilot »
www.ecotekplc.com ghetto mod

Great, let's induce a vac leak into our engines metered air intake system. Nice work!

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Re: how did everyone pass smog with their turbo kits (PADILLA)

disconnect an IC tube from somewhere and if that doesnt do it change injectors for like18lb onnes and you should be able to pass

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
Re: how did everyone pass smog with their turbo kits (bdcoombs)

Quote, originally posted by bdcoombs »
disconnect an IC tube from somewhere and if that doesnt do it change injectors for like18lb onnes and you should be able to pass

this is terrible advice. why would running the wrong size of injectors and leaning out your car help you pass emissions? lol

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Re: how did everyone pass smog with their turbo kits (TBT-Syncro)

hahaha i thought u were serious for about 2 seconds

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Re: how did everyone pass smog with their turbo kits (TBT-Syncro)

Quote, originally posted by TBT-Syncro »

this is terrible advice. why would running the wrong size of injectors and leaning out your car help you pass emissions? lol

Doing what he says would get rid of the extra air and the extra fuel, effectively making the engine stock again.
Or you could just open up the waste gate.

Modified by mechsoldier at 12:40 PM 5-23-2008

·
Registered
155 Posts
Re: how did everyone pass smog with their turbo kits (mechsoldier)

Your not under load while doing the smog test anyways are you? so if the turbo isn't building pressure, it really doesn't matter....

If you have a good tune, you'll pass....

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
Re: how did everyone pass smog with their turbo kits (mechsoldier)

Quote, originally posted by mechsoldier »

Doing what he says would get rid of the extra air and the extra fuel, effectively making the engine stock again.
Or you could just open up the waste gate.

Modified by mechsoldier at 12:40 PM 5-23-2008

Doing what he said would make the car run like crap, and definitely fail emissions.
go ahead, un-do one of your boost tubes, and take your car for a drive and see how it runs. lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts