VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to change my axle on my a2 gti. here is what i have tryed.
had the car on the ground , in gear , and someone stepping on the brake. 30mm socket and still couldnt get it to break lose. i broke 2 breaker bars ( craftsman ) trying.
what have you guys done that has worked.
i used a pipe on the end of the breaker bar and still couldnt get the bolt off, i was draging the car as i was pullin on the nut.
please help, i need to get this nut off before friday, so can get the new axle in to race on sunday. i am gonna try and put heat on it , but i am a little worryed about messing up the bearing with the heat.
AGAIN , PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: HOW DID YOU GET THE AXLE BOLT OFF????????? (G60ING)

i dont have a impact , and i tryed the tube/pipe part, this is how i broke the breaker bars.. any more ideas????? please....

·
Registered
16,341 Posts
Re: HOW DID YOU GET THE AXLE BOLT OFF????????? (herby53-akaherby53)

try a ratchet While I worked at Sears in the hardware department I saw lots of broken breaker bars but rarely did I ever see a ratchet come in for obvious cheater bar distruction. Also I have never seen one of mine break from the 4' cheater pipe but then again sometimes the gear inside needs replacemnt

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

You need a 3/4 drive socket and T bar and then put a long (like 8ft or more) bar and swing.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts

While using the pipe "cheater bar" on a ratchet or breaker bar, use a hammer to hit the pipe. Push on the bar at the same time. The hammer is for vibration, not so much for additional force on the nut. The vibrations help to loosen the nut.
Make sure you are turning it the right direction.
And PB Blaster is the best penetrant you can use. Apply a liberal amount and let it soak overnight. Then apply some more when you put the wrench to it.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

lefty lossey , righty tighty.
the other side broke lose easy , but this side is killing me. i am gonna get a tourch and heat it up a little . i am alos gonna go to the scrap yard and pick up a 4ft pipe. i was using a 2 foot pipe. i will try the hammer part, sounds lik a good idea.

i am gonna keep trying your ideas till something works keep them coming and i will keep you posted on the progress.

·
Registered
15,848 Posts

Nevermind

I had an idea....but after another 40 seconds of thought, I ditched it.
It involved using the engine to spin the axle while the nut is held solid....like, just let the handle hit the ground....and roll the car....but that could lead to a tool flying off, etc......anyway, nevermind http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Broke

Modified by Broke at 4:27 PM 5-19-2004

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

i need to get the nut off. and cannt get it lose. this may work but i would have to drive in reverse, ( the nut is on my driverside ) driving forward would tighten it. it may be worth a try, but sounds alittle scary

·
Registered
15,848 Posts

Quote, originally posted by herby53-akaherby53 »
i need to get the nut off. and cannt get it lose. this may work but i would have to drive in reverse, ( the nut is on my driverside ) driving forward would tighten it. it may be worth a try, but sounds alittle scary

Find something to put the handle end into, like ideally, a car dolly thing that slides under the wheel for moving cars around like a set of piano movers dollies.....anyway, something to allow the handle to move with the rolling car....it'll have to slide backwards as you reverse until it all starts getting tight....keep your head in the car when you do it, keep people away, just in case it pops off and goes flying....I would think it would pop and just kind of drop, but better safe than sorry....
I think the trick is going to be getting the socket to stay straight on the nut and not try to twist off...maybe have a helper hold the tool and position the handle on the ground straight as the car is eased back and then once a wee bit of tension is on everything, to step away, and let you try to back the car up and break the nut free.
I was discussing this with a friend, and we were kicking the idea around of making a tool specifically for problem nuts that allows the user to, first, rent the tool from us
and then , second, would allow the same concepts to be used of using the engine to break the nut loose, but design it in a way that provides for the socket to always be level and straight with the nut, and to move, and to attach safely to the car.....anyway, let us know if it works http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Broke

Modified by Broke at 4:35 PM 5-19-2004

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

i could throw a blanket over the bar , so it wont fly up and hurt anyone or anything. just to add to the thought, we may be onto something. i could use a skateboard to roll the bar with the car .

·
Registered
15,848 Posts

Quote, originally posted by herby53-akaherby53 »
i could throw a blanket over the bar , so it wont fly up and hurt anyone or anything. just to add to the thought, we may be onto something. i could use a skateboard to roll the bar with the car .

Skateboard might not cut it.....you'll be putting the weight of that corner of your car on the skateboard....at least set it right over top of a truck then.
Blanket would help control the tool flying, but be sure the socket is on good.
I think that is going to be the hardest part, keeping the socket from twisting off....and if you screw the nut up, your job just got harder. If the socket fits loose, it is going to want to twist off even more, so the better the socket fits, the better your chances are.
Broke

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Re: HOW DID YOU GET THE AXLE BOLT OFF????????? (Broke)

just go to the hardware store and buy some sch. 40 water pipe. cut it like 4 feet long.
thats pleanty of torque.
use a wratchet, and build up some momentum to really swing into the loosening motion to set the nut free. even swift kicks work.
ive done it with no problem with a 3/4in impact, but i dont expect you all to have that AND a compressor with enough cfm's for it!

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

well i spent the weekend trying again. i put some heat on it , but i had a hand held torch and couldnt get it red, then i used a portable compresser ( but the max psi was 120 ) then i tryed some more twister bolt remover and more air and still nothing. i am gonna get some cash up and bring the car down to a shop. what a waste of money

·
Registered
427 Posts

worst case scenario, you could always remove the axle spindle together, just remove the inner cv joint bolts, 3 bolts on the bottom of the ball joint, just mark a reference point cause the balljoint width is adjustable on the lower a arm and remove the caliper. bring the whole assembly to a shop. we did that a while back for a axle nut that was EXTREMELY rusted on. we brought it to a truck shop, they didn't even charge us. they just zipped it off w/ a 1 inch impact gun, those suckers are strong!

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

listen to this one , i got the bolt off , a guy i race with had a friend of his come over with a 1 in huge beaker bar ( this thing was like 4ft long ) so good for me , but he also said something that make a lot of sense.
put a srew driver in the middle of the rotor where the vents are the claipor will stop it from turning.
and use a socket that isnt a 16 point one use a 6 point .
just spreading the advise.

Modified by herby53-akaherby53 at 3:24 PM 5-26-2004

1 - 17 of 17 Posts