VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think this is a frequently asked question, but it seems like it should be. I saw a thread about how Jettas in general perform in the winter, but not one about Jettas with chips. Just as the title asks, how do chipped 1.8Ts handle in the winter? Specifically when snow and ice are on the ground. There's no question that I'm getting a chip in my car, but I'm very concerned about how much the higher torque will affect my winter driving.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Re: How do chipped 1.8Ts handle in the US northeast winter? (boybaha)

I'm kinda curious about this as well. I will be getting a phatty commission check in January and part of it is definately going to finally gettin my chip. I know the ASR works wonders with the stock motor. Can it deal with all that extra torque also?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Re: How do chipped 1.8Ts handle in the US northeast winter? (boybaha)

Well, if this helps, there are many more powerful fwd cars around than a chipped 1.8t. It will be just fine, just give it your regular attention.

·
Registered
25,085 Posts
Re: How do chipped 1.8Ts handle in the US northeast winter? (DaForceFedGTI)

With my stock 15s in last year's Rochester NY snow my chipped car was great. ASR will kick in if your slipping a bit and its very easy to regulate the power with the gas pedal....
I never once had a problem in any of the snow storms we got.
Stu

·
Registered
992 Posts
Re: How do chipped 1.8Ts handle in the US northeast winter? (weissguy)

yeah but many of them were designed with more power....this is an aftermarked modification that adds much more torque than the factory originally designed into the systems such as ASR. I'm just curious to hear from somone with first hand experience how the system (ASR, ABS etc) handles the extra torque in the snow and ice. Not that it would stop me from getting chipped, that is inevitable.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Re: How do chipped 1.8Ts handle in the US northeast winter? (DaForceFedGTI)

Ive seen a chipped TDI, and it's the same deal. It's much easier to spin the wheels, but, then you stop doing that. Nearly zero time to learn. Seriously, it's just a car.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Re: How do chipped 1.8Ts handle in the US northeast winter? (TDI ESEL)

cool, i'm not too seriously worried about it, i'm getting one either way and I know how to drive in the white stuff but the thread caught my eye and perked my curiousity.

3,669 Posts
Re: How do chipped 1.8Ts handle in the US northeast winter? (wolfsburg_de)

quote:[HR][/HR]BTW, this was on half-worn all-season Conti's. This year, Nokians are going on and I'll be racing 4x4's.
[HR][/HR]​
lol!
kinda glad we dont deal with that stuff much here in TX
just once every couple years

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Self serving TTT?
Yeah thanks for the replies. Like DaForceFedGTI, I wasn't really worried about the effects of chipping. I know how to drive a FWD car in the snow. Southern Vermont back-country roads never get salted and aren't plowed too often and I survived very well in my beater Camry. It just takes common sense and knowing when your car shouldn't go.
Just that after reading a few posts about how some people went back to stock for the winter, I got to thinking that this was the norm.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]You guys are missing out. When's the last time you did a 5th gear roll-on burnout?

[HR][/HR]​
LOL! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts