VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've Replaced the thermostat, Checked The Radiator and it's fine, water pump works fine, Coolant is clean, The Fans Work fine, BUT I STILL OVERHEAT!
A lot of people tell me to "BURP" the cooling system because there's a pocket of air somewhere within. But I've drained it and then filled it back up with no better results. I ran the engine with the coolant top off for 15-20 minutes and no. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND OUT HOW TO PROPERLY "BURP" MY SYSTEM??????

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Re: How Do I Burp My Cooling System!!!?????? (RVA G60)

open the filler cap and start the car , let it run and add collant little by little untill u see all of the air bubbles come one. that is the easiest way i could thing of and it works

·
Registered
8,403 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I've Replaced the thermostat, Checked The Radiator and it's fine, water pump works fine, Coolant is clean, The Fans Work fine, BUT I STILL OVERHEAT! ....[HR][/HR]​
I'm sure you've already checked the coolant temp sensor on the flange at the front of the block haven't you? It's about a $9 part and will peg the needle in your water temp gauge if it's bad and your engine might not be overheating. I'm sure you've checked this already but you didn't list it in your original post so I thought I would ask. It's happend to myself and another friend here with a G60. Wouldn't hurt to check it. If it's old, replace it and see. Only $9.

·
Registered
771 Posts

Just run it with the expansion bottle cap off until the t-stat opens up. When it opens the lower rad hose will get hot. At this point it should be "burped".
Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: How Do I Burp My Cooling System!!!?????? (G60Driver)

Quote:
I'm sure you've already checked the coolant temp sensor on the flange at the front of the block haven't you?
I don't think I have Checked It, But I used a heat sensor laser gun and traced the flow of water throughout the system and the temp going through the flange was reading about 200 degrees
but the radiator was recieving coolant at 220 degrees but cooling it to about 190-200. It almost seemed that something was just heating up the resevior coolant. but the oil temp on my MFA goes up to 220 rarely over that but the coolant needle climbs to 230+.

·
Registered
13,387 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Quote:
I'm sure you've already checked the coolant temp sensor on the flange at the front of the block haven't you?
I don't think I have Checked It, But I used a heat sensor laser gun and traced the flow of water throughout the system and the temp going through the flange was reading about 200 degrees
but the radiator was recieving coolant at 220 degrees but cooling it to about 190-200. It almost seemed that something was just heating up the resevior coolant. but the oil temp on my MFA goes up to 220 rarely over that but the coolant needle climbs to 230+.
[HR][/HR]​
Not that I know the answers, but I will give you some insight with IR temperature probes. For one they are not real accurate on temps when it comes to what your are trying to do. What I mean is that You will most likely always read a cooler temp on the hoses than the Radiator. The radiator is metal and its' sole purpose is to expell heat through radiation by the metal surface cunducting heat, and will get relativly close to the same temp as the coolent. Now whe you shoot the hoses, Rubber is a insulator for electriciy, and heat. Heat does not conduct, or dissipate heat like metal so you'll usally see cooler temperatures on the outter surface of of the rubber hose.
This is also why I do kind of get a kick out of the metal heatshield used in G60 with a Cone filter or whatever other type of filter incorporating a heat shiel. The Plastic air box is gonna give you about the coolest air temps, due to the fact that plastic is also a poor conductor of heat. Sorry don't mean to step on any toes with that statement.

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Re: How Do I Burp My Cooling System!!!?????? (Non_Affiliated)

quote:[HR][/HR]This is also why I do kind of get a kick out of the metal heatshield used in G60 with a Cone filter or whatever other type of filter incorporating a heat shiel. The Plastic air box is gonna give you about the coolest air temps, due to the fact that plastic is also a poor conductor of heat. Sorry don't mean to step on any toes with that statement.[HR][/HR]​
But doesn't aluminum reflect most of the heat energy, thats why you can grab a piece of aluminum foil in a 500 degree oven with your bare hand

·
Registered
3,731 Posts

*Do you have a Bentley?
Have you checked your water pump lately? making noise? sometimes they don`t make noise but inside that shaft is all worn out

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Re: How Do I Burp My Cooling System!!!?????? (mack73)

quote:[HR][/HR]But doesn't aluminum reflect most of the heat energy, thats why you can grab a piece of aluminum foil in a 500 degree oven with your bare hand [HR][/HR]​
Metals in general are strong conductors of heat.
The reason why you can "grab a piece of foil in a 500 degree oven with your bare hand" is because it is so thin that it cools off almost instantly when it touches your skin. To prove this, take a block of aluminum and heat it up to 500 degrees, and grab it. The block will retain its heat for much longer, and remain at 500 degrees for longer, so it will FEEL like 500 degrees.
FWIW, this is also the principle behind walking on hot coals. The coals are like coral, with very thin "flakes" on the outside which cool right down as soon as your skin touches it.
Exact same principle as a radiator. It has thousands of thin fins which cool off easily, so you pass the coolant through it so that the fluid transfers its heat to the fins, and the fins transfer the heat to the air passing through it.
Now, back on topic!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts

Just take the connection on the top of the radiator off at the flange or the clamp, to burp, only thing is, once I had this problem, I kept burbing to no avail, the fan would never come on at all, the was barely any coolant in the radiator, turn's out my top hose from head to radiator at the "T" that goe's up to expansion tank(resivour) was completely blocked off, so it was not bleeding the steam off to the expansion tank, it took me a couple of month's to figure that crapola out, it was the original hose, could not figure what blocked it off
quote:[HR][/HR]Does anyone know where I might find the proper way to burp my system???
[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Re: How Do I Burp My Cooling System!!!?????? (helldriver1)

take off the cap. turn on the heater, you dont want air bubbles anywhere in the system, that includes the heater core. have your hose or water or coolant to add handy (distilled water is best.) wait for the temps to rise and the thermostat to open. add acccordingly.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Re: How Do I Burp My Cooling System!!!?????? (kevwithoutacorrado)

What is the normal operating temperature should it be at?? My car hit 230 or close to it whenever I'm on slow traffics but drop to 200 or 190 when on open road.. should I be worry try to take care of this problem asap??

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Re: How Do I Burp My Cooling System!!!?????? (CuRide)

sounds like your thermostat might not be working right? on the road you get air movement to cool the radiator, if the tstat is stuck open then that cools the engine, but if its stuck open and your stopped or slow, the coolant just gets pumped around and around and never sits in the radiator long enough to cool down.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Re: How Do I Burp My Cooling System!!!?????? (kevwithoutacorrado)

The correct way to "burp" your cooling system is what is stated.... you run the car with the overflow tank cap off and wait for it to "burp" up the air bubbles out of the coolent. Make sure your heat is on full and also make sure that you let the t-stat open up (let the car warm up to normal operating temp). Also, the coolent temp sensor isnt in the overflow tank, so if your getting high readings inside the car, then its not a prob with the tank heating up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.