VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have changed the fluid many times in my '93 SLC 5-speed but never an Auto. Do I have to change the filter ? Where are the drain and fill plugs ??? How much Mobil1 ATF do I need ? Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Re: How do I change the trans fluid ??? B3 Auto (BadAssCorrado)

no drain plugs, drop the pan, drain about 3 quarts, change the filter and gasket, replace pan, top off, have fun...
you may want to do this again 500 or so miles later if it looks bad or hasn't been done in a while cause you'll never get it all out without disassembling the torque converter.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How do I change the trans fluid ??? B3 Auto (robertd)

Any special filter I should use or will the usual purolator filter and gasket work ?
And do I refill it through the dipstick or is there a fill hole or plug ?

[Modified by BadAssCorrado, 2:39 PM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Re: How do I change the trans fluid ??? B3 Auto (PassatB3)

The fluid in my trans has never been changed (im the 2nd owner) and my car has almost 100k. I was told by a trans shop that i shouldnt touch it unless it starts slipping, other shops have told me to go ahead and change it. What do you all think I should do?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Re: How do I change the trans fluid ??? B3 Auto (CG1182)

quote:[HR][/HR]The fluid in my trans has never been changed (im the 2nd owner) and my car has almost 100k. I was told by a trans shop that i shouldnt touch it unless it starts slipping, other shops have told me to go ahead and change it. What do you all think I should do?[HR][/HR]​
Change it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
you wouldn't belive how much better my car drove after I changed the tranny fluid. Much better smoother shifting , no more jerks or clunks

·
Registered
937 Posts
Re: How do I change the trans fluid ??? B3 Auto (robertd)

DON'T CHANGE IT!!!!!
Your old oil is not giving you any problems right? If you know it hasn't been changed for a long time, leave it alone... The old oil has carbon and other gunk in it that is helping to keep your tranny sealed and running... if you drain it and put in new oil, especially synthetic, you are running the risk of cleaning out those deposits in your tranny, and messing things up. Synthetic has cleansing agents, and will probably cause you more damage then not...
I have been told that you have a 50/50 chance... 50% chance that it will clean up everything and make it run better, and 50% chance that it will kill you tranny... I don't think this is a risk you want to take...
Can anyone back me up here?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Well the oil thats in it now has been in there for 20K. The tranny has been maintained regularly so I would assume that my odds are better than stated.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]Can anyone back me up here? [HR][/HR]​
You are correct in the fact that if a tranny has not been maintained and has say 100K on it you are much better off leaving it in because the fluid in there has properties that are holding the box together and with new fluid it doesn't have that consistency. However if the tranny has been maintained then changing the fluid should only improve the performance.
I had an '87 Sable with 125 on the clock and did one of those tranny flushes and it snapped 3 months later. I probably wasn't coincidence. So yes I can back you up.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Re: How do I change the trans fluid ??? B3 Auto (BadAssCorrado)

Please, please, please! Do not listen to or continue to pass on this ridiculous notion that ATF should not be changed, or should not be changed if it hasn't been changed in a very long time.
New oil is always, always, always better than old oil. Synthetic oil is always better than natural oil.
Do not believe the old wives' tales about old ATF "holding together your transmission" or synthetic oil damaging seals if natural oil has been previously used. These notions are fallacies that have absolutely no basis in scientific fact.
VW specifications for the automatic transmissions in use around 1993 are ATF replacement at every 30,000 mile service interval under hard usage conditions. This is pulled straight from the 1993 Maintenance booklet that was delivered with my Passat.
Using Mobil 1 ATF and changing it every 30,000 miles, I have now accumulated over 188,500 miles (or over 300,000 km) on my 1993 Passat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.