VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i'm removing my a/c and is there a way to discharge it without just spraying it all over the place?
thanks

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Re: how do i discharge the a/c without spraying freon everywhere? (xXx TURBO)

have it discharged at the dealership or a shop that has access to a recovery/evacuator. if not just let it go into the atmosphere...you'd be surprised how many people do this

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: how do i discharge the a/c without spraying freon everywhere? (turboit)

i can't the car is in my garage all torn apart so i can't take it anywhere and i don;t mind do it to atmosphere except i have a dog that stays in the garage alot, i think i'll just push the car into the driveway and do it

·
Registered
2,608 Posts

I did it in the gerage with the door open. Its not a lot of stuff. Its gone in a few minutes, never know it happened.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Re: how do i discharge the a/c without spraying freon everywhere? (95-vr6cabby)

loosten the nut at the top of the condeser to discharge it.. just crack it a little and let the pressure out slowley with a bunch of rags around it.. if you just rip the ----- wide open it will piss oil all over the place

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Re: how do i discharge the a/c without spraying freon everywhere? (PhOO)

take a broom, a wooden one, and put a nail through the end of handle.
unscrew the handle form the broom.
then by the firewall there are the refil ports there. take off a little plastic cap, and there is the ball spring valve.
you can push the ball in with the nail, and have the saftey of being a broom stick's distance as it discharges and kneeling at the same time. youll be on the passanger side of the car, and can duck your head below the fender line so you dont get sprayed.
Deffinatley do it outdoors. or have a good fan pushing the cloud out of the girage.
I did it like this, and held my breath and closed my eyes as it spewed out in a green cloud, and the wind took it away.

Modified by speed51133! at 9:53 AM 10-20-2003

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: how do i discharge the a/c without spraying freon everywhere? (speed51133!)

the thing is i have a lot of nieighbors
and i don't wanna do it in the garage b/c the dog stays in there sometimes, is there any kind of discharge kit i can buy from an autoparts store?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

Buy a refill hose, it's like $11. Tape a garden hose to that and open the valve. Oh, and put the other end of the hose in your back yard. Keep the dog inside for a few minutes during and after you let the freon out.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Re: how do i discharge the a/c without spraying freon everywhere? (plohip)

i know people do it all the time, but is this legal? Just wondering cuz I have *******s for neighbors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
unless they can run into their house quickly to take a picture I don't think you'll have any prob's. How would they prove it? Just do it.

·
Banned
1,343 Posts
Re: (JJ2K1)

open a line and breathe it in. you will:
1)get a good high (refrigerant will freeze your brain)
2)kill plants (R134A is less harmful on the ozone)
3)see predator blood (a/c dye is neon green)
good luck, stay safe http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Re: how do i discharge the a/c without spraying freon everywhere? (rsrm491)

Quote, originally posted by rsrm491 »
i know people do it all the time, but is this legal? Just wondering cuz I have *******s for neighbors.

No but who gives a ****!! LOL
Ive done it in my old neighborhood yrs ago. If anyone asks just tell them one of the lines broke or something. haha!!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Re: how do i discharge the a/c without spraying freon everywhere? (hoodita)

The R134A will dissipate into the air not harming you or the dog.
The PAG oil is what can harm the dog. Make sure the oil is cleaned up after the discharge and you will be fine.
My real suggestion is to have it reclaimed. Having your system vaced down will eliminate/reveal any possible leaks you might have.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts