VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds daft I know but I ahve just bought a mk4 cab at auction which only has the manual for a hard top, so no info on how to get the hood down. With my mk3 I just undid the clips either side of the driver/ passenger roof and pushed up. I do that with this one and it jams leading me to think it is electric? There is a suspiciously roof like looking switch in the dash next to the rear window switches but when I press it nothing happens (all other electrics seem to work fine) so I am wondering if there is something else I need to do before I undo the clips and press the switch - another button to press, something to undo, turn engine on/ off, sing a song and stand on my head maybe???
All help gratefully received, thanks guys,
Nina

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How do I get the hood down????? (Black_cabbie)

Have only tried it with handbrake up so far, will try it with handbrake down tomorrow just in case. Have also tried it with engine on/ engine off/ and windows up/ windows down. Have looked in the boot can't see any pump but it is dark now so I have given up. Will have another hunt tomorrow.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope. Handbrake off doesn't do it, neither does neutral and foot on the brake, neither does in 1st, handbrake off and foot on the brake.
There is no noise when I touch the button, you know, not even a click or a hum, I am starting to think the button may be faulty. Hmmmm....
Any more ideas anyone? otherwise I will take it to the nearest VW garage to see if they know.
Thanks

· Registered
22,448 Posts
Re: (boatbabe)

Well I suppose that is why they have the manual override..lol Are you sure the fuse for the thing is good? don't do visual on the fuse use a meter or test light both sides

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your replies. For anyone interested I have found out the answer is..... undo clips etc. put key in ignition...dont turn but just push.... at same time press roof button on centre console. Now who would ahve thought of that????

· Registered
2,696 Posts

Quote, originally posted by boatbabe »
Thanks for all your replies. For anyone interested I have found out the answer is..... undo clips etc. put key in ignition...dont turn but just push.... at same time press roof button on centre console. Now who would ahve thought of that????

It's not a bug, it's a FEATURE damnit!!

· Registered
18,724 Posts

Quote, originally posted by boatbabe »
dont turn but just push.... at same time press roof button on centre console. Now who would ahve thought of that????

Some genious engineer at Volkswagen

· Registered
22,448 Posts

That is because they are worried that you don't try the express version of taking your top down 65MPH, and popping the locks...
I would be scared, as if I drove the car off a bridge ala Teddy Kennedy, I couldn't get out....till the pressure equalized and the doors could open.

· Registered
'81 Trek 614, '95 Ranger
12,379 Posts
Re: (Adam from Oz)

Quote, originally posted by Adam from Oz »

Cheers,
Adam

WOW!! A right hand drive chainsaw, I had no idea........

· Registered
'81 Trek 614, '95 Ranger
12,379 Posts
Re: (Lucky_Mcgee)

Lisa-Monique,
Finally saw pics of your seat mounting brackets too. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Ron

· Registered
18,724 Posts
Re: (Lucky_Mcgee)

Lucky, I saw a Hello Kitty necklace at the grocery store last night and couldn't help but picture it hanging from that Hello Kitty rearview mirror of yours...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.