VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is probably not the right forum to post this in, but by me owning my Scirocco, I have really changed my career goals. I am now very interested....Obsessed(really) in fixing up my car and working on it. Is there a certain path, or procedure to go about becoming an actual mechanic? rather than just doing it for pleasure on the weekends???
Figure if i have this much fun doing something, might as well get paid to do it

·
Registered
662 Posts
Re: How do I go About??? (Jota)

Start by going to night college or something,
or as most of have by Trying and testing things,
Naff it the first time you'll certainly do it right the second..
All the best....
VW's are easy to work on so you shouldn't have many problems and don't be afraid to scape your knuckles.......

·
Registered
7,181 Posts
Re: How do I go About??? (VWPowered)

i just had a talk with one of my bros about this the other night. i *love* workin on my car. i know it in and out. i *hate* working on other peoples crappy old rusty pieces of sh!t.
if you did it for a living, you might loose the passion for your car! beware. i saw it happen to my friend. his garage. his tools, my car, saturday morning with a hangover. i have problems.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Re: How do I go About??? (rockin16v)

I agree with the above post. I worked in auto shops for a while. You'll quickly lose the passion you have for cars...fear not...it will return when you leave! Working on your car is great....being griped at by some jerk boss because you spend too long on something, or trying to explain to a VW owner something important or useful about their car while they irritatedly look at their watch. ....some people don't deserve cars.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Re: How do I go About??? (scirocco16v)

quote:[HR][/HR]I agree with the above post. I worked in auto shops for a while. You'll quickly lose the passion you have for cars...fear not...it will return when you leave! Working on your car is great....being griped at by some jerk boss because you spend too long on something, or trying to explain to a VW owner something important or useful about their car while they irritatedly look at their watch. ....some people don't deserve cars.
[HR][/HR]​
AMEN...!!!!.. I worked on cars for 10 years,, thinkin when i first started that this would be my "carreeeerrr" but after tons of jag off bosses and so fourth. I did it for my self, much more rewarding .. To all the tech/Mech.. props to you guys its a lot of work, dirty work..

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Re: How do I go About??? (tnesh)

I used to work at a dealersip vw of course and when you work on other peoples cars all day you don't want to work on your own and just neglect it. But if your interested in learning try finding an independent shop that you canstart cleaning up and oil changes then brakes and next thing you know you'll be rebuilding transmissions.
Or you can go to a school ie. franklin instituit in Boston, my frinend goes there and I still know way more then him. But I think learning from somone who knows their stuff is alot more effective. Try finding a reputable european car garage and asking the owner to take you under his greasy wing, and let 'em know you really want to learn.
I learned by just taking stuff apart then looking at the bently to figure how to put it together right. And be prepared to spent many many thousands on tools and a nice box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.