VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I install Fog Lights Problem (Pictures included) Please help me diagnose!

Okay. I jumped the gun and bought new fog lights for my 1995 Jetta GL III.
http://www.procarparts.com/store/displaydetails.cfm?pid=FOG-41-92GOLF

Now how the hell do I install these? PLLLEASSS HELP

[Modified by fatlard, 1:25 AM 10-3-2002]

[Modified by fatlard, 7:06 PM 10-11-2002]

[Modified by fatlard, 7:06 PM 10-11-2002]

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Re: How do I install Fog Lights (fatlard)

ok here goes:
1. assuming your not already wired for fogs, you need either get a new wire harness or you can rig one up from the wires in your current setup(not sure how, i just bought a new harness too)
2.you either need a fog relay(i thinks its #110) to go into your fuse panel, or a jumper to go into that same spot.
3.then u need a new light switch, b/c yours has no way of turning the fogs on unless u r good at wiring stuff.
4.then just hook up the lights in the bumper, good luck ever getting them back out though! its a major pita!!!
this is just what i did, i hope u get it figured out, have fun

[Modified by 94jetta~~, 8:41 PM 10-2-2002]

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Re: How do I install Fog Lights (94jetta~~)

Is that $73 for a set? I must be an idiot because it can't be that cheap. It looks like it says it is a set, and it includes two bulbs!? If it is a set why is it so much cheaper? You can't find used ones for that.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Re: How do I install Fog Lights (askibum02)

the reason those are cheaper is because they are not Hella fogs, they are made by some after market company. also u are going to need to buy the dummy lenses that go next to the fog in the bumper and the wiring harness so you can hook them up to the headlight harness. try http://www.parts4vws.com for the dummy lenses and wiring harness. also try out this link im sure it will be helpful, the foglight install is fairly simple http://www.roadrallysport.com/project_vento/prjctvnto.htm if u have any questions IM me cuz i installed OEM fogs on my car less than a yr ago

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: How do I install Fog Lights (VdubLove)

Do I really need a switch? I was just thinking of leaving them on all the time.. (except when the car is off)
I think that kit comes with wiring according to that link. Do I still need to buy the wiring harness.?

[Modified by fatlard, 4:39 AM 10-3-2002]

[Modified by fatlard, 4:39 AM 10-3-2002]

·
Registered
902 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Do I really need a switch? I was just thinking of leaving them on all the time.. (except when the car is off)
I think that kit comes with wiring according to that link. Do I still need to buy the wiring harness.? [HR][/HR]​
i just ran my regular switch until i got a euro switch and all it did was it would turn on the fogs whenever i turned my headlights on. as far as the wiring, im not sure what they included you will have to see whats included when you get the fogs delivered. i think that they might just mean that the wiring from behind the fog assembly is included, and then u need the harness to connect both fogs and run them to the headlight harness.

[Modified by VdubLove, 11:48 PM 10-2-2002]

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

I got a full wiring harness from a car with fogs originally, basically swap the old one out and shazam! fogs. To get them to work with a switch with a fog position and minimal wiring, get the harness from parts4vws.com. It's a couple of extra bucks, but worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Re: How do I install Fog Lights (Matt H)

What all comes with the wiring harness? just the black part on the back of the fogs? then pin connectors maybe? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
906 Posts
Re: How do I install Fog Lights (JonnyBoy-17)

only thing you gotta watch out w/ is that it's technically illegal to have your fogs on all the time (due to their projection range, they can screw up oncoming drivers). Of course, you see many people who drive around with their fog lights on, and I'm sure a cop will probably just let it go most of the time, but just giving you a heads up. The only other way to go is to get driving/pencil light configurations for the "fog"lights...but i think even those are illegal. Ah well...F the poh-lice

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: How do I install Fog Lights (97GolfGl2.0)

Okay. Lets say I get the fog light assembly, the bulb and the wire harness. One side of the wire harness goes to the back of the fog light assembly now where does the other side of the wire harness go?
I have daytime running lights and a two position switch for the headlights. Whether this switch is on or off the headlight beam is about the same. How would I wire my fogs to this switch?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]
i just ran my regular switch until i got a euro switch and all it did was it would turn on the fogs whenever i turned my headlights on.
[HR][/HR]​
Hey Vdublove, How did you set it up so you ran the regular switch until you got the euroswitch? I really need help with this.
Thanks

·
Registered
902 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Hey Vdublove, How did you set it up so you ran the regular switch until you got the euroswitch? I really need help with this.
Thanks[HR][/HR]​
just dont even touch the switch just hook up the fogs like the instructions in the link i sent you and it will be alset. you dont need to play with the switch at all
IM me if you need anything else, or just post it here

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I have a problem.
Alright, I installed the foglights, the wiring harness, and the relay. I turn on the car and the foglights do not turn on with DRLs. I turn on the headlights and it does not turn on. So everything works except the fogs.
I think I might need a switch (NA Spec with Fog or Euroswitch). My 1995 GL III 2.0 does not give me the option of pulling the switch to turn on fogs.
VdubLove, how does yours work? Does it come on with DRLs or Headlight function or does your switch have another position other than the two I have?
Please help.

·
Registered
902 Posts

check ur wiring and make sure everything is connected properly, make sure u connected the fogs to pin connector 19 in the headlight harness. the way my fogs worked is that they came on whenever i turned on the headlights. make sure u also put the relay in the right slot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.