VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Re: How do i install speakers in front doors of mkiv?? (ugottagettajetta)

If you've got Monsoon, you've got two sets of speaker wires running into the door; if you don't, you've got one set that gets split at the woofer connection. You'll need the crossover that comes with the speakers for the non-Monsoon case.
Anyway, to take off the front doors, you first need to take off the handles. The passenger's side handle separates into two plastic parts at the visible seam; pry carefully with a rounded tool (try doing it at the bottom where the handle meets the door, being careful only to pry up the top part, not the bottom part that's screwed to the door). It will snap off. There will be two large #3 phillips screws in there. Remove them.
Then remove the 3 (four?) Torx screws at the bottom edge of the door panel, and the one #2 phillips on the top/left side of the door panel (as you look at it) near the sail panel (where the tweeter/mirror are).
Pull the door panel out from the bottom, snapping it out. It will be hooked on the top by the window gasket. Just lift it.
There will be three cables connected to the door; the power window/lock connectors, the door handle cable, and the light at the bottom/right of the door panel. Disconnect them and place the panel aside.
Now, grab a drill and a 1/4" drill bit and drill out the four rivets holding the stock speaker to the door.
And then mount your speaker.

For the driver's side, it's similar, but that door handle comes off in two parts. First you need to take the round grip piece out from inside the grip part of the door handle. This is a little tricky to remove, but it pries towards the outside of the car (i.e. away from you). Then you just pull up on the flat plastic part, but NOT by the grip, because there's a black plastic support running underneath that. Then you will be able to remove the three large #3 phillips phillips screws holding the door on, plus the torx screws at the bottom, and the #2 phillips near the front of the car and top of the door panel.
You'll need spacers for the new speakers so they clear the window.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: How do i install speakers in front doors of mkiv?? (vwgtirob)

thanks rob, im gonna try it now, will my speakers be ok with the stock head unit??
you going thursday?
how about sunday?
hows you car dude?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]thanks rob, im gonna try it now, will my speakers be ok with the stock head unit??
you going thursday?
how about sunday?
hows you car dude?
[HR][/HR]​
Your speakers will be fine with the stock HU.
I'm still trying to get a hold of the damned insurance adjuster to look at my car. I don't know when the next time I'll be going is, but probably not this week. What's Sunday?
At least I've got new wheels for when my car's all better.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

damn dude, im sorry to hear that, buy i know the crap you're going through, trend had my car for a month, getting me a new trans, and arguing with me over who will pay for it. i wish you good luck. and thanks for helping me out. do you have a car until then? sunday there is some huge bbq thing, take a look in the regional forums, i forget where in NJ it is. i think its by the nj/nyc border.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

how do i wire these things? there is the vw plug w/ 4 wires. and the speaker has two slots on top, and 4 on the bottom. which wires go to which leads?? should i just cut off the vw connector??

·
Registered
1,989 Posts

You weren't kidding when you said you were doing it now

Two wires in that plug go to the tweeter (white and black, IIRC), and the other two come from the HU. (I'm assuming non-Monsoon.) The two wires on the left and the two on the right are connected together when plugged into the woofer.
Instead of cutting the connector, I would just splice into the two center wires, if it isn't too much trouble for you.
Which speaker has two slots on top and four on bottom?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts

where would ya go about getting spacers???? i have 2 pair of mb quart components laying around from last car & would like to install them in gti.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: How do i install speakers in front doors of mkiv?? (vwboy308)

quote:[HR][/HR]where would ya go about getting spacers???? i have 2 pair of mb quart components laying around from last car & would like to install them in gti.[HR][/HR]​
Make em yourself... That or get some from radio shack ive HEARD they sell em i dont know if they do for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts