VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a nice black 1983 GTI. Runs good but not registered yet. The idle is so so but acceptable. I was wondering how can I check if stock camshaft or not (maybe the idle situation is from a hot camshaft)
Generally speaking I was also curios how good/steady is the cis idle compared to modern efi cars. My 1999 6cyl bmw has a wonderful idle....
My previous rabbits (25 years ago I used to convert them to carburetors dellortos or downdraft solexes I can not even remember how good the idle but I do remember they had an instantaneous response

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Re: how do I know if stock camshaft in my car/ 1983 GTI (danzaharia)

There are several things that can cause a rough idle (aside from a hot cam).
My suggestion would be to do a tuneup on the motor, so you can familiarize yourself, and know that the essentials are in good shape. You can also take the time to check out the vaccum lines, and the other hoses/tubes that connect to the intake system. Check for cracks and/or leaks. The CIS system is very sensitive to vaccum leaks, so that's often a good place to start looking.
I see you are in Westwood, NJ.
If you have not already, I strongly suggest that you go and make friends with a buddy of mine: Gene, at RPM Performance Engines, located on Bergenline Ave. Gene has been working on modified VW's for a long time, and I'm sure you could have a good conversation. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: how do I know if stock camshaft in my car/ 1983 GTI (Jettaboy1884)

thank you for all replies
this is a super forum , too bad MK1 vws are so hard to find these days....
do they still make them in mexico or south africa ?
Il check with RPM performance after the car is registered right now is stored in the garage because the ny title has a citibank lienholder and cant get a lien release letter from citibank....

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
FV-QR

you can always grab a caliper or a micrometer (a big one) and measure the lobes (intake side), across the width and from back to tip... subtract for total lift and compare the number to the table on the TechTonics website

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.