VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time the ignition is on with the engine off, my oil buzzer screams and the light blinks. I've tried a different cluster, no difference. I've tried a different oil pressure sensor, no difference. There is oil pressure and when the engine is on, the buzzer is silent.

I want to make it stop. How? It's almost more annoying than the Vuvuzelas...

· Registered
09 CC 3.6 4mo, 98 DE Leftover car, 90 Corrado, 78 Triumph Spitfire
13,280 Posts
Every time the ignition is on with the engine off, my oil buzzer screams and the light blinks. I've tried a different cluster, no difference. I've tried a different oil pressure sensor, no difference. There is oil pressure and when the engine is on, the buzzer is silent.

I want to make it stop. How? It's almost more annoying than the Vuvuzelas...
sounds like a bad connection at the fuse block or similar. Hows continuity from the sensor to the cluster?

or a bad ignition switch

· Registered
09 CC 3.6 4mo, 98 DE Leftover car, 90 Corrado, 78 Triumph Spitfire
13,280 Posts
I don't know how to measure that. Just - at the sensor and + at the connector to the cluster with the ignition on?
use a DMM and set it to ohms.

· Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
use a DMM and set it to ohms.
Yes, of course. I can't reach the cluster from the engine bay. I measured between the negative terminal of the battery (the cluster is grounded, right?) and the end of the wire and found infinite resistance. Does this mean the wire is broken, or does it not mean anything?

· Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rabbit, jetta, cabby?????

kinda need to know which system it has... aka german built into cluster, bunny has relay..

next why key on with not running?? that to me is odd...
Sorry for not specifying but I probably figured that you would see my location and assume I have a german built car. :) I have a 1984 Jetta. Also, when the idle gets low (below 1k rpm) the buzzer comes on and off rapidly.

· Registered
3,579 Posts

· Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Registered
3,579 Posts
from said link

Low oil pressure problems are typical of high-mileage VWs with worn bearings and oil that is hot and therefore thin. The combination of thin oil and worn bearings means that the oil pressure is marginal at lower RPMs where the oil pump is not spinning as fast as it does on the highway.

its a low rpm thing. not sure about when the car is off though

· Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But the BUZZER, the noise, should only sound if I have bad oil pressure over 2000 rpm. It has never sounded over 2000 rpm. Only when the ignition is on and the engine is off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.