VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like if I want to totally disable my ac I'm gonna have to remove it unless there is some way to set it up so that there is no belt to the ac but the alternator still somehow works. any let me know what to do details are good.
P.s I don't know if all a2's are like this but there is a pulley of the engine that runs a wheel.(gear without cogs) this runs the ac and the alternator. SO I con't just cut the ac belt or no alternator.
thanks for any help

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Re: How do I remove the ac (Tristan)

Why do you want to disable the A/C? . Disabiling the A/C will get you nothing if power is what you are looking for. The A/C clutch is not engaged until you command it. The only thing you gain by disabiling the A/C is if you got rid of it all together.So there was less weight in your car.

·
Banned
275 Posts

less rotating mass (a steel pulley) more power. not much, but definitely better throttle response...
you need to go to the junkyard and pick up (3) pulleys and (1) alternator bracket from a non-a/c non-power steering car. like an '85 golf ghetto
i did my conversion like this: (in my rabbit gti)
pulletys from a non-ac vehicle, 16V non-ac bracket ( i used to own a 16V, and had the bracket laying around), with a 16V 90 Amp alternator...
it runs greast, and i get 90 amps for stereo power.
if you need more info, email me.
ZEe

·
Banned
275 Posts
Re: (gearhead455)

thanks for the info gearhead. No shi*t about the summer... i've never had a/c so i don't care if i get hot 3 months out of the year.
and who's car are you talking about being slow? do you even know what you're saying?

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Re: (gearhead455) (ZEe16V)

quote:[HR][/HR]thanks for the info gearhead. No shi*t about the summer... i've never had a/c so i don't care if i get hot 3 months out of the year.
and who's car are you talking about being slow? do you even know what you're saying? [HR][/HR]​
Any one who thinks there car is fast because they cut the belt of the A/C in an otherwise stock 8v. The kid is never going to be able to acomplish all the things you stated. Most people when there looking power, there first thought is not - "hay I think i will cut my A/C belt off today". The poor dude is going to cut off the A/C and be kinda dissapointed and he also will never have air conditioning. He would be better of with a tune-up and a K&N.

·
Registered
55 Posts

I did this exact trick on my 92 GTi 8v. I autocross the car, so the weight was a factor, but the other big factors were that I didn't have to mess with tensioning that belt, didn't have to replace it, and it free-ed up a bunch of room in the bay. The ac didn't work anyway, so it was a no-brainer.
You can look for the "ghetto golf" but the easiest to find for me was the Fox. Grab the pulley's and shims off of a fox that didn't come with ac. Grab a whole bunch of crap and use what fits. If I remember correctly, you may need a new bracket as well...If you have trouble, ask and I can scope mine out again. I remember it wasn't a big deal once I figured out the Fox trick. A lot of Fox's came beater style with no ac...

·
Banned
275 Posts
Re: (gearhead455) (gearhead455)

gearhead... please guy... read what i suggested to him. he didn't ask... 'what should i do first for more power'. i don't know him, he doens't know me... i'm just answering his question from personal experience. i removed my a/c along with the crappy 65amp aletrnator that imposible to change... remove about 40lbs worth of weight from the front end, and got ***a little bit*** better throttle response... not POWER. and my engine isn't stock, i don't know about the kids. But i would definitely recommend other things to him if he was doing a 'first mod'
Gruven.. i autoX also... and i found a pretty big difference in sttering response. It's alot of weight off the nose. And as for the Fox issue.... there are about 5 billion Foxes in my local yard... they all had a/c... freeking bummer huh? i found my setup off of a '85 golf gl with NOTHING, NADA, Zip, Ziltch (you get the point) no options in the car.. bone stock. And then i picked up another setup off of an '84 jetta.

thank you for reading this.
ZEe

[Modified by ZEe16V, 10:35 AM 12-7-2001]

·
Registered
3,523 Posts

Well if he is going to do anything he best take the whole thing off. Useles to have a 50lbs of junk on your car with no hope of it ever operating. Plus he will have an useles evap core sitting in his HVAC unless he switches to a non A/C HVAC.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts

I want to swap out all the parts in my AC system. I aready got the compressor and all that out now I want to remove the condenser and any other piping and wiring I don't need. Do I need a new radiator to get rid of the condensor? Will a Non AC radiator cool the car better? I'd assume so since there'd be nothing in front of the airflow. Doing a new engine soon So this info would be nice.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: How do I remove the ac (gearhead455)

quote:[HR][/HR]Your car will still be slow..... and now you will sweat like a pig in the summer.[HR][/HR]​
first of all my ac doesn't work to begin with second off all I'm not really trying to get power just stop the ac from sucking it off. I live in seattle where I need the defogger all the time but the ac takes off a little power. SO what I want is an electriccal way to disable the ac start up

·
Registered
3,523 Posts

If the A/C dosen't work. As in there is no refrigerent charge. The A/C clutch will not turn on anyway when there is no pressure, no load, no nothing. Otherwise just unplug the compressor.

·
Banned
275 Posts
Re: (gearhead455) (citat3962)

citat, the radiator you have should be a lrger one already... you mus remember ,it was made to withstand the heat that full blast a/c produces on your cooling system. to remove the condensor, just remove the a/c lines connected to it, unbolt it from the rad support, and remove it.. thats it. then if you want to remove your existing a/c lines thst run to the dash... depending on what car you have... you have to loosen up the connection from the in-dash condensor, and remove gthe lines... worse comes to worse... you can cut them out using a small hackksaw (what i did)
goodluck, ZEe

·
Registered
98 Posts

yeah and it's probably a good thing too cause if the a/c clutch ever goes you'd haveto replace it just to make your car run . and i remove my condensers as soon as i get the cars and notice that they run no lss than 20deg. cooler and more , yeah it's a bunch of parasitic power robbing junk as far as i'm concerened.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts