VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove my passenger's side control arm to check to see if I bent it or damaged the balljoint. I have all of the bolts off but I can't get it out.
The balljoint won't come loose... how do I get the sway bar out of the mount? and also, facing the car from the passenger's side the rear left area of the control arm is above some sort of plate, i have the bolts off of the plate but it doesn't come off.
Please help me. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Re: How do I remove the control arm? (DagoGLI)

remove the three bolts holding the ball joint in, then take out the one going across the top of ball joint. then take a screwdriver and you should be able to pry it out. Hard to describe, but if you look, it should be easy.
you don't need to remove the control arm

·
Registered
818 Posts

It's a real pesky thing to remove without the intire subframe lowered. You can still do it it just takes a bit of muscle. Go get a hammer that has a rubber or plastic head on it and try to tap (and I stress tap because you dont want to bend it) the arm out of the back next to the bushing. Also you won't be able to remove the sway bar unless you partially drop the subframe - any you don't need to do that so don't go there. As long as you have the bolt holding it to the A-arm removed you should be good to go.
The other thing you might try is placing a big block of wook between your strut and your inner fender to push the brake/strut assembly out of the way. That should give you more room to work.
I am a little confused as to why you need to remove the arm in order to see if it's bent. You can tell pretty much by looking at it if you need a new one. So, if it doesn't look bent and your not planning on poly put the bolts back in and call it a day.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: How do I remove the control arm? (GTItus)

effword i think you're right. the arm doesn't look bent and now i checked the balljoint and it is working smoothly. dammit i guess i just need a new strut bearing.
i hit a curb and i took it to a shop and they wanted $150 to do a strut bearing. so i brought it home to check other stuff too... dammit.

·
Registered
818 Posts

Ok, scratch my last post. You're talking about the ball joint. You're gonna need a special tool called a ball joint breaker. Or if your ballsy enough to pound on the A-arm with a rubber mallet that can sometimes work but I wouldn't recomend it. The tool looks like a big tuning fork (see below
You're bently will discribe the procedure but you basicly stick the tool around the ball joint (be carefull not to tear the boot) and hit the end of the tool with your rubber/plastic mallet again until it seperates from the strut assembly. Cool?

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

The sleeve is split, if you shove a pointy screwdriver up the split you can grab the sleeve with pointy pliers, but, it usually rusts and bonds to the inner part of the bush and doesn't come out, in that case lever the arm off, the sleeve will collapse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.