VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going through evan's install of GLX lights on a GLS
http://www.ratrix.com/evan/mods.htm
But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the wire through the firewall by the light switch. I'm not that mechanically inclined. Am I just supposed to jam a screwdriver into the firewall? I can't see where I would be able to access the firewall area by the switch from under the hood, it seems theres a bunch of stuff in the way. I know this is the hardest part of the install, if somebody can help me with it I would be very thankful.
-Henry

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Re: How do I run a wire through the firewall? (Henry)

I believe there's a rubber grommet that you're looking for. I haven't had to mess with it, but there should be a hole in it already and possibly wires going to other locations.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How do I run a wire through the firewall? (JayDub)

I've got to the grommit the wires are running into the firewall inside the cabin, But where do they come out on the other side? Am I just supposed to stab into the side of the grommit as it suggests on evan's site?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts

hehe basically yeah. Make sure not to stab too hard so you don't puncture or cut an existing wire, though.
One good idea is to get a wire coathanger, poke it thru, and find it. Then you can tape/attach the wires to the hanger, and pull them thru.
I've had good results w/ that method.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Evan's description:
quote:[HR][/HR]Now, you will notice two fat wires running through the firewall. I used a long screwdriver to punch through the firewall next to these wires. I was very careful no to nick these, because that would be fatal. When the screwdriver gets all the way through, tape a piece of wire to it and pull it back through the firewall. Now, take this wire and feed it up to the back of your switch.[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
4,757 Posts

The grommet leads from engine bay to inside passenger cabin above the gas pedal (on the brake pedal side I believe).
To see it you have to remove the fuse panel (w/ door) on driver's side, the left piece of the panel under the steering wheel, loosen the right side by removing the screw and there's a pan u can slide out. in the center of the pan there's a clip u unclip and then it slides out (u can see the white guides near the firewall).
then u can see the rubber grommet - i had to twist and shine a flashlight up into the firewall area.
easiest if u have someone help u thread the wire through ... from the engine side.
i just punched a hole into the rubber grommet itself incidentally - no punching thru firewall for me ...

[Modified by Mencius01, 10:29 AM 12-5-2001]

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: How do I run a wire through the firewall? (Mencius01)

I've got the passenger side of it figured out but can't figure out where the other side of the grommit with the wires coming out of it is within the engine bay, Is there something covering it I have to remove?
I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff....

·
Registered
6,168 Posts

Past this, I'm no help.
I've not had to work with that stuff in my car.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I've got the passenger side of it figured out but can't figure out where the other side of the grommit with the wires coming out of it is within the engine bay, Is there something covering it I have to remove?
I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff....
[HR][/HR]​
oh i was talking about an empty grommet that's not being used? From the engine bay (on a VR6 at least) it's pretty visible - just a round black grommet thing near the engine fuse box cover (to its left if u're facing the car looking into the engnie bay from the front) ...
When u pull that grommet it's a nice round hole that's easily visible from inside the passenger cabin ...
Buran should have some pics somewhere .... that's how I guessed ...

[Modified by Mencius01, 10:46 AM 12-5-2001]

·
Registered
15,038 Posts

I have this probe thing that has a fat end with little retracting claw doo dads that i used to fish through the firewall. That's the best i can describe it. I reccomend you try using something dull on the ends so you don't knick the wire and shimmy it through next to the big chunk of wires.
man my terminology sucks
Henry, there is also another place to run wires through the fire wall. If you follow your hood release cable, there is a real grommet where it meets the firewall. If you can, poke another hole in that grommet, side the wire through, and start fishing for it. The wire will enter your cabin directly behind the firewall. Good luck!
Evan

·
Registered
2,347 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]oh i was talking about an empty grommet that's not being used? From the engine bay (on a VR6 at least) it's pretty visible - just a round black grommet thing near the engine fuse box cover (to its left if u're facing the car looking into the engnie bay from the front) ...[HR][/HR]​
That's where I went through also (1.8T). The prob is that I ended up loosing it and having to go to the dealer to get another one.
J-F

·
Registered
398 Posts
Re: How do I run a wire through the firewall? (Jetta_J)

What I did was just punch a hole using a screwdriver to the right of the rubber gromet from the inside and asked a friend to feel for where it came out in the engine compartment (mine's a 2.0). It worked and I just punched it right through the firewall and the stuck out through the black material on the side of the engine compartment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts