VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of ya'll, my glove box lid has broken at the right hinge. I ordered a new one from http://www.vwparts.com adn it was significantly cheaper than the $300 the dealership quoted me.
I'm fine with the procedure to remove the old lid and attach the new one, but I have no clue how to transfer the lock core from the old lid to the new one.
Anyone done this before and have hints to offer? I have the Haynes "manual" for my car, but it doesn't go this in-depth. it's about time I get the real repair manual for my car
cb

·
Registered
812 Posts
Re: How do I Transfer Lock Core from Old Glove Box Lid to new one? (2neDesign)

Its pretty simple. the lock tumber is preassure fitted into the housing. To remove, you simply have to push it out from the back. I used a needle nose. BE SURE TO HAVE THE KEY IN THE LOCK!!!! I didnt and almost trashed it, springs went flying and I had all to do to get it back together. Keep the key in the lock while pushing it into the new housing.
Take your time and for pete's sake dont let the key fall out.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Re: How do I Transfer Lock Core from Old Glove Box Lid to new one? (2neDesign)

ps i bought an entire new glove box door from the stealership for 35 dollars.
The piston assembly, which is why the hinge broke was 85. Needless to say I didnt buy it, see my sig.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: How do I Transfer Lock Core from Old Glove Box Lid to new one? (VWFREQ)

Thanks man. I'm planning on switching out the lids tonight and I'll be checking this thread again when I get home.
chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts