VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Re: How Do I... (babytease)

well, if your doing the big one, there's two metal clips holding down a plastic cover one one each side. fold those back and take cover off. next is trying to get you hand in there to the bulb be patient. there's like this plastic thing around the bulb portion that you have to twist first then pull out. kind of hard twisting it with just two fingers then again just be patient. not the easiest thing to do but you'll manage
putting it back on is a breeze

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Re: How Do I... (babytease)

Just a word of advice if you are installing aftermarket bulbs......
make sure they are designed to work "always on" unless you have a euro switch. I've seen a bunch of other vortexers melt their headlight bulb harness by installing "ultra-white" or "plasma" bulbs when they don't have the euro switch. A lot of the aftermarket bulbs aren't designed to be on constantly while driving your car. Just make sure to check because each manufacturer is different.

[Modified by DJKeebler, 1:43 PM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: How Do I... (DJKeebler)

How do I check if these bulbs will work with my car? The person I bought it from had it listed as bulbs for Volkswagen Jettas. But, I'm not sure and I highly doubt that if I ask him he would know.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Re: How Do I... (Aloha-boy)

For the Golfs/Jettas/GTIs, DRLs are the low beams running at reduced wattage, versus full power. In the Golf/GTI, there is also a citylight in the highbeam reflector, but not on the Jettas( except for E-Code lights). Also the euroswitch does not get rid of the DRL's.
Disabling the DRL's is easy: Just remove the headlight switch by pushing it in, and then turning it clockwise. There will be tabs that unlock and you can pull the switch right out. On the back of the switch, disconnect the harness and look for the pin labeled TFL. These are your DRLs. Get a piece of electrical tape and cover that pin. Now you're DRLs won't come on when you drive around!
Oh yeah, and about the bulbs, don't buy anything higher than 55watts. You run the risk of melting your headlight wiring and/or blowing a couple fuses.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Re: How Do I... (fknblsht)

As long as the headlight switch is not always on when you have your keys out of the ignition, then it's performing to factory spec. It's lit like that so that at night when you start your car you can see where the switch is. It will not do any harm to you car and is the safest way to disable your DRL's. All you're doing is blocking the flow of current to/from the switch. Same thing as if you were to cut/pull out the wire. The other methods, such as unplugging a relay( this will cause your parking brake indicator to be turned off), have side effects or are unsafe. This was the first mod I did! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.