VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

How do you get rid of wheel lift?

601 views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  B3VR6 
#1 ·
Not sure that's the right term, but you know when you floor it of the line and you front end lifts up? Yeah, well I don't like it. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
So how do you reduce it? I realize that momentum will make the front lift off a bit, but my wheels slip a bit when I really give 'er. I mean, they're winter tires with not much tread, but I still don't think it should happen.
I have H&R sport springs with worn-out Tokico shocks by the way (that might be the cause!) .............
Thanks guys.

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: How do you get rid of wheel lift? (VWsuperhero)

much stiffer springs and/or removeable wheelie bar

#5 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]Not sure that's the right term, but you know when you floor it of the line and you front end lifts up? Yeah, well I don't like it. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
..... with worn-out Tokico shocks by the way (that might be the cause!) .............[HR][/HR]​
You might want to start there....
wheelie bars....lol

#8 ·
Re: How do you get rid of wheel lift? (rockit)

quote:[HR][/HR]RWD conversion.[HR][/HR]​
My RWD car does it too, along with the back end squatting down a bit.

It's called physics. Good ole Isaac Newton again, even.
Stiffer suspensions, wheelie bars, and lowering HP. Bet I can guess which one no one wants to do

#11 ·
Re: How do you get rid of wheel lift? (16v)

your suspension has to be set up correctly to reduce/eliminate this. on my race car I have custom valved Bilsteins that are set for very high rebound in the front and high compression in the rear, coupled with 700 front and 900lb rear springs I launch almost dead flat. this is NOT however a very streetable , you could take this idea and de-tune it for a more streetable ride and still reduce the lurching.
<edit: cool its #5000!)

[Modified by 2035cc16v, 4:06 AM 2-12-2002]

#12 ·
Re: How do you get rid of wheel lift? (gtiordie)

quote:[HR][/HR]

wheelie bars....lol[HR][/HR]​
seriously, if you think you're losing that much traction by the car squatting down then wheelie bars are an answer

#13 ·
Re: How do you get rid of wheel lift? (negativl)

My RWD car does it too, along with the back end squatting down a bit.

It's called physics. Good ole Isaac Newton again, even.
[HR][/HR]​
i know that. but with a RWD car, its a good thing [/marthastewartstyle]

#16 ·
Re: How do you get rid of wheel lift? (16v)

wheelie bars....lol
seriously, if you think you're losing that much traction by the car squatting down then wheelie bars are an answer[HR][/HR]​
Yeah,but on a street car(I'm assuming) with worn out suspension?
edit-..and with worn out winter tires?

[Modified by gtiordie, 1:33 PM 2-12-2002]

#17 ·

If you're really concerned about this, then you're most likely really into drag racing.
How about you weld in some brackets to the bottom of your rear suspension arms so that you can install a solid bar to use during 1/4mi races. It would be a bar that keeps the rear suspension from moving at all and would naturally be removable for normal street driving. This should eliminate weight transfer almost completely while leaving you with a fully streetable suspension for normal driving.
I picture the bar possibly connecting from the back bottoms of the rear suspension beams to maybe the rear bumper support bolts. Easy in and out and serves it's purpose when needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.