VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

How do you guys dispose of oil, break fluid etc

446 views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  taurus 
#1 ·
Hey Guys.
I'm just wondering how you guys get rid of used brake fluid, oil and other fluids when you do maintenance work yourself. Do you just throw a soda bottle of it in the trash, or is there some correct way of doing it?
Thanks in advance broughams.

#2 ·
Re: How do you guys dispose of oil, break fluid etc (5280)

autozone, pep boys, checker, schuck, kragen, any auto parts store should take it...
and usually i take the 5 quart oil bottle i use and dump most of the old oil in that, then use the gallon milk containers http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#3 ·
Re: How do you guys dispose of oil, break fluid etc (ThatGuy)

do not throw it in the trash, do not dump it down a sewer.
All parts stores and auto stores take them free of charge. It gets recycled into all sorts of things

#4 ·
Re: How do you guys dispose of oil, break fluid etc (LilBlkCL)

I put all of my used motor oil into a huge 5 gallon paint container with a small whole in the top for pouring and bring it to a local garage where they usually use it for heat in the winter.

#6 ·
Re: How do you guys dispose of oil, break fluid etc (5280)

You may also try your local transfer station (fancy word for your local "Dump") Besides just disposing of trash whether household of otherwise, most of them also have designated areas for disposing of used motor oil, anifreeze and most all used vehicle fluids.
JR

#13 ·
Re: How do you guys dispose of oil, break fluid etc (jtdunc)

I sneak into a party at waterfest, and pretend to be the bartender. Afew ounces in each drink, and Voila!
It is amazing how fast you can get rid of a few gallons of toxic waste in this manner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.