1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas
it's 10 degrees (F)
How are you staying alive

on the way walking to vehicle, sitting inside of vehicle, etc.
(mods: vehicle-related. Please do not delete)

My small ice scraper is plastic and WEAK
so slow to scrape ice from windshield, too short, and probably bothers neighbors with scraping noise that takes way too long

but main point:
Jackets And Gloves
Where'd you get yours?

I have found out that my cheap gardening gloves are not good enough. Nor are they compatible with a smartphone touch screen to operate Spotify

tried to find a winter jacket at Costco. They had 10 to pick from. All were lies. Appearances can be decieving. They looked the part. Fashionable design, color, and fur-like sherpa lined inside.
But they were all paper-thin.
Well, I guess there's Columbia, North Face, and Patagonia. All higher than the max $30 Costco price point of their pretend winter jackets.

curious to hear from you all what's good

I wonder if cold starts in 10deg will kill my engine due to lack of electric plug-in aux heaters (block, oil pan, etc.)

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
OP, don't you live in SoCal?

I live in Vermont and I HATE the cold but here goes:

Gloves: Costco or LL Bean
Coat: LL Bean
Footwear: LL Bean boots. perhaps the most important part is footwear

Get a good ice scraper. Again from Costco for me. Get a long one with a brush
No temp is going to kill your engine. It might kill your soul though. If you drive ICE, turn on your car first then scrape away and brush snow. You're gonna need heat inside so you dont fog up the windshield when you drive away.

·
Registered
11,045 Posts
My coat and gloves are Eddie Bauer and work great for my uses. Get a better/faster ice scraper, it's worth it, or just use a bunch of washer fluid when you get inside (probably less good). The squeegee style ones with a long handle work pretty good for most ice and clear you off fast.

also get a car with a V8 so it gets up to hot heat faster for your defroster. top tip.

10 degrees isn't going to hurt your car especially with modern oil. if you were doing sustained below 0 temps then it would be more of a consideration.

·
Premium Member
'20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,444 Posts
I have a pair of super warm, Kinco mitts for snowblowing on the coldest days. Mot any decent glove is fine for day to day stuff. Carhart jacket for the coldest days. My family has moved to the lighter, simulated down "puffy" winter coats. Heck, most of the time I'm just wearing a fleece since I usually have long sleeves on already.

Also, I know we had a whole "Snow Tires for SoCal" thread already, but is there really a fear of 10F weather in Southern Frickin California?

Climate change certainly has the Northeast warming up, but I missed the part where SoCal is plunging into deep cold winter.

:snowcool::snowcool:

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I severely under-dress for winter. I believe it's a product of being young and never worrying about car reliability/function, which is silly, as there is a lot that can happen to a vehicle caused by external factors and not the vehicle itself in poor weather conditions. I think growing up with a cell phone also makes me (and most people) feel "invincible." The old, "if anything bad happens, I can just call someone!" I never think about the what-if scenario where I'm out in the middle of nowhere with poor/no cell service.

Usually I wear a light soft-shell jacket and that's it, even on 10-15F days. My wife and I both park in a garage (though not heated) and have remote start so that definitely helps. I keep an ice scraper in her car, I don't in mine. I've used a credit card in a pinch. I keep gloves in my glove compartment (ha) in case of an emergency, she keeps a hat and gloves as well.

Other than that, that's about it.

·
Premium Member
18,222 Posts
Russian Navy Peacoat or my work jacket (random Aramark unit)
Winter motorcycle gloves
Hiking boots

A good hat is very important.

Tools - plastic ice scraper and a plastic rallye spatula for the wheels.

·
Premium Member
7,712 Posts
I moved to the south :)

Before the kids were here and I had my **** together I parked in the garage. I'd go to work early to park close and just deal with it

·
Premium Member
'20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,444 Posts
I severely under-dress for winter.
I was like that when I was younger. In college, I generally wore shorts year-round, even in deep winter with the snow. A product of being an over-temped, half-drunk chonky dude I'm sure. :beer::laugh:

The older I get, the more I want warm stuff. We keep extra blankets, hats, mittens, etc. in the cars all winter in case something happens, but going back and forth on the daily, I don't wear anything big or bulky.

As AA said, a good hat matters. I have a couple of different weights of beanie including very light Neff that I wear inside a lot. Bald head = cold head I'm afraid.

38F dark and rainy this morning. I have to get the Miata over to storage this week so I can start parking the Civic in the garage.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
24,749 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts

get tougher, this and a hoodie and some gloves. I've lived in Chicago, Michigan (Detroit and Ann Arbor), the Adirondacks and am currently in the Souther Tier of NY.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
the low in San Diego today is 58 degrees.... OP, what are you talking about? :sly::confused:

·
Registered
44,069 Posts
If it's over 20ºF then I usually wear a waist length medium duty coat and light gloves while I clean off my car. If it gets much colder than that then I don my heavier, longer coat, thicker gloves (or two pair with liners and my "Sleestak" cycling gloves on the outside) and boots. If it's above 40º I wear just a light jacket and if it's above about 55º in the morning I usually don't wear a jacket at all unless it's raining.

I hate the extreme cold, but as long as it's above about 20º I don't mind hanging around outside with a coat. I'm not ready for Alaska, but I don't need to move to Hawaii, either.

I only want to move to Hawaii. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
How far away is your car parked that you'll freeze to death during the walk from the house?
I guess I shouldn't say I love shovelling snow in a hoodie when its -5 C, at least I do wear gloves though lol...mind you at 10 F (-12 C) I might put on a jacket if its windy

Don't worry about your car in those type of temperatures, that is nothing to worry about. I found my '01 S4 had trouble at -50 C (-60 F) when we were out snowboarding one winter back a decade or so ago.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts