VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Do you guys keep a hat and gloves in your car? Blanket? Spare jacket or sweater?

Getting to the car from garage, or vice versa, rarely seems to be the issue. What happens when you break down or get stranded when it's cold?

If everyone really just wears a sweater or t-shirt you're not going to have a good time.
The way I was raised, you get dressed for the elements before going outside. If my car gets warm I turn the heat off.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Do you guys keep a hat and gloves in your car? Blanket? Spare jacket or sweater?

Getting to the car from garage, or vice versa, rarely seems to be the issue. What happens when you break down or get stranded when it's cold?

If everyone really just wears a sweater or t-shirt you're not going to have a good time.
Hat and gloves in the (haha) glovebox. Either wear a coat or throw one in the back of the Jeep. When I go to the cabin/woods I have some serious outdoor gear with me including heavy coat, boots, wool socks, etc etc etc.

I have a fleece that’s been in the trunk of my S2000 since I’ve owned it but I don’t drive that car in winter.

·
How do I resize a picture?
17,588 Posts
The way I was raised, you get dressed for the elements before going outside. If my car gets warm I turn the heat off.
I enjoy the heated seat on my back, so if I'm wearing a jacket I'll take it off when I get to the car.

Once it gets below 40*F outside I'm not leaving the house without a sweater or jacket. One, because I hate being cold, and two, I'm not getting stranded like a dumb ass in a 16 year old German car with a t-shirt on when it's 35*F and raining.

·
Registered
44,070 Posts

But "nothing is going to happen to me".

I wear a coat, but usually a little lighter than most people. When it's really cold I make sure that I'm wearing footwear that will keep me from getting frostbite if I'm going any distance at all, though.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Love it! When we moved from Watertown, NY to Erie, PA, the kids at school kept telling us that there was so much snow in the winters. In March, when we had gotten a whole six feet total, we started to ask when the real snow was going to show up.
Watertown snow is NO JOKE!

·
Premium Member
'20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,456 Posts
Honestly, this whole thread, all 5 pages of it, seems a little silly. Are we this desperate for a conversation? :laugh:

If you're cold, put a coat on. If you aren't... don't. The rest is just personal preference, not right or wrong.

Also, now grown-ass adult should need to be told how to keep warm if they are cold. Put on a sweater.

grumblegrumblegrumbleneedmorecoffeee

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
If you're cold, put a coat on. If you aren't... don't. The rest is just personal preference, not right or wrong.

Also, now grown-ass adult should need to be told how to keep warm if they are cold. Put on a sweater.
To be fair, it can be hard to figure out if you weren't raised in cold weather. I grew up in the northwest, and we didn't exactly do "winter clothes". I remember many a morning freezing my ass off waiting for school to open in sub-freezing temps with jeans and a light jacket. (like the OP says, "the jackets looked the part, but were paper thin!")

It's not something most people own, and stores in non-cold areas are less likely to carry true heavy duty cold weather clothing. So you think, it's cold, I'll throw on a sweater over my t-shirt, and a jacket over my sweater, and.. it's not nearly enough. But you don't own anything else.

Most folks who don't have to deal with it regularly don't have:
* long underwear
* warm hats
* warm socks
* proper winter coats (eg, we have just windbreaker/raincoat/shell type things)

·
Registered
4,974 Posts

Yes. I got a flat once in January in northern Michigan and ended up having to lay prone, in a puddle of frigid, black slush when a lugnut rolled under the car. Not having some extra winter gear kind of ruined my day.

Hat and gloves in the (haha) glovebox. Either wear a coat or throw one in the back of the Jeep. When I go to the cabin/woods I have some serious outdoor gear with me including heavy coat, boots, wool socks, etc etc etc.

I have a fleece that’s been in the trunk of my S2000 since I’ve owned it but I don’t drive that car in winter.
This.

I’m not sweating my ass off for a 5 hour drive because I might be chilly the first 5 minutes.
This, too. I have to shake my head when I see people wearing a giant parka, hat and gloves while driving but struggling to see because the inside of their windows are all frosted over. I prefer to drive in a light fleece/hoodie/soft shell so I can keep the heat on enough to keep the glass clear without frying myself out of the car.

·
Premium Member
7,586 Posts

Both of our dailies have an emergency bag in the trunk - blankets, flashlights, hand warmers, gloves, maps, water, etc.

When the winter tires go on, small folding shovels and brushes go in too.

Winter outerwear/layers, boots, etc are pretty standard here. I don't think I'd ever consider driving somewhere without it.

·
Premium Member
18,227 Posts
Blankets and hatsbin all the cars. Duh.

·
Premium Member
'20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,456 Posts
To be fair, it can be hard to figure out if you weren't raised in cold weather. I grew up in the northwest, and we didn't exactly do "winter clothes". I remember many a morning freezing my ass off waiting for school to open in sub-freezing temps with jeans and a light jacket. (like the OP says, "the jackets looked the part, but were paper thin!")

Fair enough, my northern New England bias is showing. :) :snowcool:

·
Premium Member
7,586 Posts
Why not do the 6hr IMSA race if it happens next year?
That's a great idea. I'll look into it. Thanks for the tip.
ohhhh I could be in for something like that too, let me know :thumbup:

I'm there every year (well, not this year obviously). It's a good time - very different vibe than the bigger endurance races like Sebring or Daytona.

Just noticed someone caught the SS in a Streetview 360 photo back in 2018 when I parked in one of the IMSA car corrals.

I don't think those guys by the 911s/Cayman ever left their cars to watch the race. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I have a picture with your car parked right there somewhere on my phone... I always get a campsite so everyone is free to stop by.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts

I carry a full on survival bag that includes:
3x gloves
3x hats
3x balaclavas
2x blankets
Matches
Water
Energy bars
Rope
Utility knife
Tool kit
Machete
Fire starter
Work gloves
First aid kit
CB
Batteries
And a bunch of other stuff that's overkill.

Growing up in the middle of nowhere Alberta with no cell signal and insane temperature variation kinda made it vital. In PA, less so, but I hate being without.

I'm going to add some 12g ammo to the mix, too.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts