VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to remove to have it powder coated. How do I put it back on? I assume double stick tape like how it is installed, but is there a special double stick tape that is weather resistant?

And on the front emblem, I've read that it has tabs on it. I assume it just pops back into place?

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
any double side stick tapes should work, i replaced the tapes on mine and its been sticking for 2 winters just fine :thumbup:

just don't take the cheap version, I recall seeing one being cheaper than the other in store and i took the most expensive

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will answer your question, after you tell me how you intend on taking it off. Keep in mind I know the answer to both.
Well I know the front has tabs, so I need to compress those if possible while pulling it off. The rear is just like taking off the GTI or Jetta badge. I normally use a blow dryer and fishing line with some adhesive remover to clean up the paint and then I buff that area briefly.

But to the point that plastic can't be powder coated, maybe I'm just better off buying smoked emblems...

·
Registered
593 Posts
id say you just leave it as is...

but if you must... front has tabs and pops back into place easily..
once you take the rear one off.. remove all the double sided tape and apply new one.. i used 3m doubstick tape from autozone and it worked just fine...

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
maybe i'm dumb and missing something.

but it appears that you have a jetta.

and the jetta rear emblem screws into the trunk..... no tape involved.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got a 20AE GTI actually. I'm thinking I'm just going to replace them with smoked emblems. And why? Because everything else is smoked except my tail lights and I'm having my wheels powder coated gloss black and want it all to match.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I've got a 20AE GTI actually. I'm thinking I'm just going to replace them with smoked emblems. And why? Because everything else is smoked except my tail lights and I'm having my wheels powder coated gloss black and want it all to match.
ohhh gotcha i just saw the jetta in your list. didn't see the 20ae. black emblems are:thumbup::thumbdown: but i think usually :thumbdown:

black wheels also are :thumbup::thumbdown: but typically i would say :thumbdown:

but hey it's your car. if youre dead set on getting the wheels black, it probably would flow alright.

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
FV-QR

Just order a black emblem. It should come with new adhesive on it. You should be able to find one on ebay for like $20.

BTW I used double sided tape and had no issues so far.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.